Your baby happily munching on his food is one of the sweetest moments that you can think of. It is so adorable to see him smearing the food on his face contentedly. You may be confused while introducing solids to your baby for the first time. It is normal to have questions like when, how and with what food start.
The task of feeding your baby need not be a challenge. You simply need to follow certain rules and regulations to make sure your baby starts loving the solids.
When And How To Introduce Solid Foods To Baby?
Babies have their own pace of developing. Most babies are ready for the solid foods from 6 months. Before six months of age, your baby’s digestive system is not ready for the solids.
You should also make a note of the following:
- Before introducing him to solids, you can continue with breast milk for the formula solution. This will offer all the necessary nourishments and calories to him.
- If he feels hungry, you can offer him some additional baby milk. You c
How Will You Know If He Is Ready For Solids?
Before you offer solid foods to him, it is important that you understand if he is at all ready for it. Here is what you can look for:
- Your baby will generally sit up by the time he is 6 months.
- He will want to chew toys and other objects inside his mouth.
- He will try to grab the food by his hands when you bring a bowl near him.
- Your baby must be ready to swallow the food. In case he is not ready, he will push out the food and turn around his face.
[ Read: 6 Month Baby Food ]
What You Should Feed Him?
Make eating fun time for your baby. You can begin with colorful veggies and fruits. Here is what you can do:
- You can mash the vegetables like carrot, sweet potato, parsnip and yam.
- You can also mash fruits like pear, banana, avocados, apple and pear and add with breast milk to get the desired consistency.
- You may also add whole milk to his food when he is a year old.
[ Read: Baby Food Chart ]
How Will You Know If He Is Full?
Your baby will let you know when he is full. Here is what you can consider:
- Your baby will generally turn away his head when he is not hungry.
- He may spit out the food and shut down his eyes.
- There is no need to worry if he has not taken sufficient amount in a day. More important is what he eats over the course of a week.
[ Read: Carrot Puree For Babies ]
Try Different Options:
As your baby start eating solids, he will have different types of foods. Make sure you are adding variety in his diet to meet all his nutritional needs. Here are the four group of foods that must be there in his diet:
- Vegetables and fruits.
- Starchy foods, pasta, potatoes, rice and bread.
- Dairy foods and milk.
- Beans, eggs, fish, meat and non dairy protein sources.
[ Read: Top 30 Healthy Foods For Your Baby ]
What If He Is A Fussy Eater?
It is normal for babies to be disinterested in food. Here is what you should know if he is a fussy eater:
- Your baby may reject a particular food around 15 times before accepting it. So, you should keep trying to feed him.
- You must enjoy veggies and fruits in front of your baby. He will love to imitate you.
- You can offer fruit juices along with a main course.
Hope you liked our post on when and how to introduce solid food to babies. Make sure to follow hygienic standards while cooking and storing food for your baby. A healthy start will ensure proper growth and development of your little bundle of joy.
What solids you introduced when your baby started eating for the first time? Share your views by commenting below.
Reference : 1
- Top 10 Food Ideas For Your 7 Months Baby
- 11 Simple Steps To Prepare Carrot Puree For Your Baby
- 10 Simple Guidelines You Should Follow While Making Vegetable Puree For Your Baby
- 5 Easy Steps To Prepare Banana Puree For Your Baby