Have you heard about the goodness of eucalyptus oil? Do you want to avoid giving antibiotics to your little one every time he’s down with a cold? Well, this post may offer ‘the’ solution to help your child fight cold and infection the natural way.
Eucalyptus oil is famous for its powerful antibacterial and antiseptic action (1). It is a common home remedy to deal with disorders affecting the respiratory and the bronchial system. But, is eucalyptus oil safe for babies? Keep reading to find out.
What Is Eucalyptus Oil?
Eucalyptus oil is an extract of the leaves of the eucalyptus tree. The oil has many healing properties and has been in use as a popular home remedy since thousands of years. It is a natural therapy to treat respiratory problems such as bronchitis, pneumonia, cough, and cold.
[ Read: Which Oil Is Good For Baby Skin ]
Benefits Of Using Eucalyptus Oil For Babies:
Many years of research and studies have put forth the following eucalyptus oil benefits for baby
- Topical application of eucalyptus oil may improve blood flow, act as a local coolant and even disinfect the area thanks to its antiseptic and antibacterial action.
- Eucalyptus oil also helps relieve ear pain, inflammation, and infections, which are common in growing children.
- Its expectorant quality makes it a wonderful natural remedy for cough and chest congestion.
- Eucalyptus oil also helps ease the symptoms of flu. It can help prevent fever by regulating the body’s temperature.
- Massage it on the scalp to prevent lice and to stimulate the flow of blood to the brain.
[ Read: Benefits Of Olive Oil For Babies ]
Can You Use Eucalyptus Oil On Babies?
According to an online health resource called MedLine Plus and the National Institutes of Health, you should not use eucalyptus oil for children under the age of two (2). Also, parents should take care and avoid applying this oil topically, particularly around the nose and mouth area for younger children. As the eucalyptus oil is quite strong, it can harm the delicate skin of babies and infants. You can use it to deal with congestion in older children thanks to its antispasmodic and expectorant action.
Points To Remember:
If you decide to use eucalyptus oil for your baby, make sure you keep the following points in mind.
- Check if your child has any allergies to rule out the risk of him developing a reaction after you use the oil.
- Make sure your child doesn’t ingest the oil. Consumption of eucalyptus oil may lead to vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea in children.
- Try to use a small quantity of oil whether you use it topically or in a vaporizer.
- If there is a family history of asthma, avoid applying eucalyptus oil directly to your child’s chest.
[ Read: Is Almond Oil Good For Baby Skin ]
How To Use Eucalyptus Oil For Babies?
It is best to seek the opinion of your primary health care provider before you start using the oil for your child.
- Ideally, it is best to dilute eucalyptus oil before applying it topically, especially for children.
- You could also add a couple of drops of the oil to a vaporizer and let the warm moist air circulate in your baby’s room.
- You can apply it directly to your child’s chest and massage gently. However, dilute the oil before use. (3)
- Adding a couple of drops to your child’s bath water can also help.
If your child is perennially coughing and sneezing, the eucalyptus oil may work wonders for him.
Did this article help you understand a bit more about using eucalyptus oil for your child? Do let us know your views in the comments box below.
- Top 10 Baby Hair Oils That Work Wonders
- 7 Most Helpful Tips To Keep Your Baby’s Skin Healthy
- How To Massage Your Baby?
- Is It Safe To Use Almond Oil For Massaging A Baby?