Congratulations on the new baby mommy! While this is a time of great joy, it is also a time of a huge set of responsibilities that will now be a part of your daily life.
It is true that taking care of your infant is not an easy task. As a mother, you are needed to keep your child healthy and disease free. But following some hygiene tips at home and getting timely medical assistance always helps.
There are a wide range of diseases that occur in infants as well as newborns. One such condition is HFMD or Hand Foot and Mouth disease. Can babies get hand foot and mouth disease? Yes, this is one of the most common diseases found in infants.
Let’s discuss it and find out how you can prevent your little darling from the same.
Causes Of HFMD:
To cure any disease it is essential to know how it is caused.
- HFMD is caused by a virus called Enterovirus.
- The virus takes a couple of days, called the incubation period to spread in the body, thus the symptoms are not immediately observ
[ Read: Toy Safety For Babies ]
Is It A Contagious Disease?
Yes, HFMD is a contagious disease, which spread either by physical contact or by coming in contact with the body secretions of an infected person.
Here are some of the common ways through which the virus spreads:
- This virus is communicable and can spread easily through coughing and sneezing, i.e. nose and throat secretions through saliva, sputum, nasal mucus, etc.
- Stools of an infected child are also responsible in spreading of this disease.
- Fluid in blisters is also spreads this disease, which, if come in contact with a healthy person, can transfer the virus in his or her body.
4 Most Visible Symptoms Of Hand Foot And Mouth Disease In Infants:
After the virus enters the body, symptoms of this disease are visible after 2 to 3 days. Following are some of the common symptoms:
- Your infant will start developing painful sores in mouth; mainly on tongue, inside of cheeks, gums, etc.
- Development of rashes is also one of the common occurrences of this disease. Your infant may get rashes on his or her palms, buttocks, soles of feet, etc. However, these rashes does not cause itching, but may result in blistering if ignored.
- Fever and feeling of illness.
- Your infant might become irritable and uneasy.
[ Read: Scarlet Fever In Infants ]
5 Basic Ways To Prevent (HFMD) Hand, Foot And Mouth Disease In Infants:
In order to prevent any occurrence of HFMD in your infant, it is advisable to take extreme hygienic care of your infant and keep him or her clean.
- Used diapers should be properly disposed off and your infant should be washed and bathed properly.
- Also, you should keep a check on the cleanliness of the toys and tethers that your infant puts in his or her mouth.
- In addition to these, you should also take care of washing your hands properly each time. Especially if your older kid is infected by the disease you must take extra measures before taking care of your infant.
- You should also avoid hugging, kissing and sharing utensils or cups of your infected baby with others, as the disease is communicable.
- Apart from this, disinfecting unclean surfaces and floors of the house will help preventing the spread of the disease.
[ Read: How To Bathe A Baby ]
Your baby needs a little extra care and attention to ensure a healthy development. So, if you find any of these symptoms in your baby, do not ignore it, thinking it is a result of a minor seasonal change. Instead, consult your pediatrician, as else it may get aggravated.
You can also share your experiences and give suggestions below on the same.
References : 1 , 2
- 5 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Heat Rash In Babies
- 5 Common Baby Skin Allergies And Its Causes
- 8 Preventive Measures To Avoid Hay Fever In Babies
- How To Massage Your Baby?