Dandruff in babies is quite rare. However, it does occur rarely. Babies have soft skin and scalp when they are born. The tenderness remains till about an year. If you are bothered with sighting dandruff on your little one’s scalp, do not panic. There are simple remedies that can address this issue. This post will help you with everything you need to know.
Dandruff In Babies:
Dandruff on baby scalp is seen as tiny flakes. Scaling of skin can also be noticed on the scalp, leading way to flaking later. Dandruff is a mild form of a skin condition known as seborrheic dermatitis.
Causes Of Dandruff In Babies:
While the exact cause is unknown (dandruff is not really contagious, as goes the myth), below are some key causes for its occurrence in babies:
- Over secretion of sebum or skin oil from skin glands.
- Fungal overgrowth called malassezia causes shedding of gray flakes from your baby’s scalp.
- Possible exposure to extreme heat can cause sun burn on your baby’s scalp, lea
- Using too much of shampoo that has not been well rinsed tends to dry on the scalp, triggering dandruff.
- Lesser frequency of hair wash can also cause dandruff, leading to dry skin cells piling up on scalp like scales.
- Skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis. These are much serious in nature and need medical attention.
- Possibility of lice formation, causing itching and scaling.
[ Read : Psoriasis In Babies ]
How Serious Is It?
While the mild dandruff situation is manageable at home with simple remedies, persistent or severe forms of dandruff like psoriasis, eczema and cradle cap require medical care. A lot depends on what you observe. Making note of the severity of occurrence and existence will help you make decide giving a call to your baby’s doctor.
Measures To Tackle Dandruff:
Just like adults, there are no hard and fast rules to get rid of baby dandruff situation. Treating the scalp right enables you to get rid of your baby’s dandruff quickly.
Here are some simple measures that you need to apply when your baby has dandruff:
1. Use a mild shampoo that does not have harsh chemicals. In case of severe and persistent flaking, use a medicated shampoo that contains salicyclic acid. Check with your baby’s doctor to buy the best shampoo for your baby.
2. Rinse your baby’s scalp well while giving him bath. Ensure that traces of shampoo are not left out on scalp.
3. In case you do not wash your baby’s hair often and this is causing the grime to accumulate, it’s time to turn the tables. Make sure you wash your baby’s hair at least twice a week to get rid of flakes.
4. Do not wash your little one’s hair way too often. Babies have soft scalp that needs careful treatment. Exposure to chemicals frequently can damage the skin cells.
[ Read : Baby Hair Care ]
5. Avoid using oily potions such as oils, conditioners and styling products. The extra grease only makes the situation worse for your baby.
6. In severe cases like eczema, report the symptoms to your baby’s doctor right away. You will be asked to follow medication in cases of cradle cap and ringworm to get rid of any fungal infection.
It is important to maintain a healthy pH balance of the scalp. Your baby will need constant attention once he is prone to dandruff. Making sure that he gets good hair washes in intermittent time periods and oil free scalp should largely address the problem.
[ Read : Hair Fall In Infants ]
Talk to your baby’s doctor right away to understand in detail about dandruff in babies. Your baby deserves a healthy scalp, and you are in charge!
- Top 10 Baby Hair Oils That Work Wonders
- 5 Common Baby Skin Allergies And Its Causes
- 4 Effective Tips To Treat New Born Baby’s Body Hair
- 10 Best Shampoos For Your Baby
- 6 Tried And Tested Methods To Wash Your Baby’s Hair