The golden rule of pregnancy: Be healthy to give birth to a healthy baby.
It is indeed a correct and an agreeable statement. If you have any deficiency it will not only make your pregnancy complicated but also harm your unborn child. So why take risks!
Your body can easily get the required amount of B12 vitamins if you have a wholesome and balanced diet. But if you follow unhealthy eating patterns, you can easily fall victim to this deficiency which is considered to be highly perilous for your unborn child.
Why Is Vitamin B12 Important During Pregnancy?
Vitamin B12 in our body is responsible for the proper functioning of the nervous cells and production of the red blood corpuscles.
- If at the time of pregnancy you do not get the requisite amount of vitamin B12, then there are high chances of you giving birth to baby with brain and spinal cord defects.
- Sometimes, one does not realize she is pregnant until 20-25 days of pregnancy; the initial development of nervous system in your baby takes p
- So, on a safer side many doctors recommend those women who are trying to conceive a baby to start taking vitamin B12 supplements at least three months in advance.
- Once your pregnancy is confirmed your doctor will mandatorily ask you to start taking vitamin B12 supplements daily and most essentially for the initial 12 weeks.
[ Read: Vitamin B During Pregnancy ]
What Are The Sources Of Vitamin B12 During Pregnancy?
If you do not want to rely on supplements for your nutritional intake, then it is vital to follow a wholesome and healthy diet which can give you the necessary amount of vitamin for your body.
Following are the important sources of Vitamin B12 during pregnancy:
- Whole cereals
- Green leafy vegetables
- Salmon and Cod
From the above list you can see that if you are vegetarian or Vegan, then you can be more vulnerable to Vitamin B12 deficiency.
[ Read: Pregnancy Diet Chart ]
Effects Of Vitamin B12 Deficiency On Your Baby:
When you are pregnant and lack the requisite amount of this vitamin, you may develop the neural tube defects. Neural tube is the small channel in your body which is responsible for developing the brain and the spinal cord of your baby.
Following are some of the types of neural tube defects found in new born babies:
- Spina Bifida:
Under this defect, you may find that the baby’s spine is largely underdeveloped. This baby will have a life-long partial paralysis.
Baby might be born with improper developed brain and spinal cord. In some cases, a baby might be born without parts of brain and skull.
When a baby is developed with these defects then the membranes of the brain come into the skull through a hole.
[ Read: Calcium In Pregnancy ]
Optimum Dosage Of Vitamin B12 In Pregnancy:
These days many women are found with B12 deficiency while they are pregnant. If you are one of them, you should be very cautious. To avoid taking chances with your baby’s life, consider taking its supplement tablets.
- When you are pregnant your body requires minimum 2.6 mcg of vitamin B12.
- It is important to understand that both excess as well as deficient amount of this vitamin are undesirable.
- Also, do not take the tablets without doctor’s recommendation. Only your doctor can suggest you the best supplement in accordance to your need.
- Lastly, you should be aware of your body’s requirements during the pregnancy. Being ignorant can cause serious harms.
We hope you understand the importance of Vitamin b12 for pregnant women and shall make necessary changes accordingly. If you follow the tips outlines in this article, we are sure you will be totally safe from Vitamin B12 deficiency!
Let us know your views on the same
References : 1
- 18 Vitamin E Rich Foods You Should Take During Pregnancy
- 24 Vitamin B Rich Foods You Should Include In Your Diet During Pregnancy
- Top 10 Nutritional Foods To Eat During Pregnancy
- Why Is Intake Of Calcium Tablets Important During Pregnancy?