Pregnancy is a beautiful phase not only for you but also for your family. Just the thought of a new member joining the family gets everybody all upbeat. With all the excitement comes the inflow of suggestions and advice on how you should adjust to the beautiful change in your life.
With the change in your lifestyle, your food habits change as well. Your hormones start working in a different way to maintain the proper growth and health of both your baby and you.
It is natural to have some health related issues, while you are expecting. Some of them are perfectly normal and expected. Constipation is one such very common problem.
Foods That Contain Fiber:
To avoid constipation and also to maintain a proper balance in your body, fibers must be included in your daily diet. There are various foods which contain fiber.
Here is a list of a few fiber rich foods during pregnancy:
- Almonds: Rich in various mineral, almonds are a “super food.” These are a store house of high fiber
- Beans: Since legumes lead the pack when it comes to fiber, beans are another essential food to be added in the list.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is one of the foods which is not only rich in fiber but is also rich in various essential minerals and vitamins.
- Collard green: This is an excellent option for adding fiber to the diet along with other essential vitamins and minerals for all the mom-to-be.
- Pears: If pears are consumed with the peels on, the amount of fiber, vitamins and other essential minerals that enter the body are astonishing.
- Blackberries: Everybody likes a little bit of sweet in their lives. When you are pregnant and are considering foods which have fiber content, blueberries is an excellent option. It is a fruit which not only contains high fiber but also potassium, magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin E and folate.
[ Read: Calcium In Pregnancy ]
Benefits Of Taking Fiber During Pregnancy:
Consumption of fiber during pregnancy has many benefits both before and during pregnancy. Some of the benefits of fiber intake during pregnancy are as follows:
- Helps in the reduction or controlling of bowel movement, thus preventing constipation.
- Helps in preventing the glucose intolerance which may lead to gestational diabetes.
- It has been found that consumption of more fiber during the first trimester actually helps in reducing the preeclampsia by two-thirds
- Lowers the risk of cervical and ovarian cancers.
Some Facts About Fiber:
Since fiber is that part of plants which cannot be digested by human enzymes, it is neither digestible nor does it provide calorie or energy.
- Fiber can be either soluble or non-soluble. It is a great choice of food which makes you feel full without filling you with unnecessary calories during pregnancy.
- Also, consumption of fiber lessens the chances of developing cancer of the endometrium, rectum, colon and breasts.
[ Read: Iron Tablets During Pregnancy ]
Quick Fiber Rich Recipe:
Here is a quick and delicious recipe that is loaded with fiber – Carrot and Raisin Salad.
- ½ cup raisins
- 4-5 grated carrots
- Rock salt
- Fresh chopped mint leaves
- Lemon juice
- 6-8 walnuts
- Crushed peppercorns
- Green chilies
- Add the raisins, carrots and walnuts in a salad bowl.
- Keep the mixture aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients, except the mint leaves.
- Now mix these with the raisins, carrots and walnuts.
- Garnish with the mint leaves.
Enjoy your yummy-fiber-full salad!
Since pregnancy is one of the most beautiful and anticipated time of your life, you should be very careful in the kind of diet you prefer to consume. The health and development of your baby will depend on your lifestyle and food habits.
Look after yourself and make the right choices when it comes to a proper diet. To live a healthy life and give the best to your baby, make sure you include fiber in your diet.
Are you expecting? Do share which fibre-foods you have included in your daily diet in the comment section below:
- 9 Vitamin B12 Rich Foods You Should Take During Pregnancy
- 24 Vitamin B Rich Foods You Should Include In Your Diet During Pregnancy
- 8 Amazing Nutritional Benefits Of Eating Nuts During Pregnancy
- Top 10 Nutritional Foods To Eat During Pregnancy