There is nothing softer than a baby’s skin. Most parents are constantly looking at excuses to touch that super soft skin and snuggle in its folds. What parents also need to remember is to make sure that baby’s skin stays as soft as it is. Here is where massage with baby oils come in.
Almond Oil For Baby Skin:
Is almond oil good for newborn babies? There is a lot of debate on whether oil massage is actually needed for babies or not. While the benefits related to growth may or may not be true, it is certainly true that giving your baby a regular oil massage is great for the skin.
Oil massage forms a traditional part of – taking care of babies – in most Indian homes. An oil massage is recommended either before or after bath. The oil not only nourishes skin and soothes tired muscles; it also relaxes your baby into sleep.
[ Read: Baby Massage ]
Sweet Almond Oil For Baby Skin:
Before you select the oil for baby’s massage, you need to make sure that it will be safe for the ba
Benefits Of Using Almond Oil:
Sweet almond oil is loaded with a host of goodness that is perfect for your infant’s skin.
1. Rich In Goodness:
The oil is rich in Vitamins A, B2 and B6. It is also a good source of Vitamin E, which is essential for a healthy skin.
Sweet almond oil also possesses moisturizing and emolliating properties. These keep baby’s skin soft for long hours.
A soothing massage with this oil will help relax your baby. Massaging baby before bed time is a great way to soothe those tired limbs. It improves blood circulation and helps in the breathing process. This will help your little one sleep calmly.
[ Read: Olive Oil For Baby ]
4. Reduces Indigestion:
Massaging your baby with sweet almond oil reduces the chances of indigestion and upset stomach. This is a common problem in infants that can cause a lot of pain. Use this oil to gently massage your baby’s tummy.
5. Protects Against Dryness:
As the skin of new born babies is very sensitive, it is quite often prone to dryness, eczema, soreness and inflammation. The risk is even greater in environments where the air is dry and dusty. Application of sweet almond oil prevents such irritations.
- It also protects babies from developing rashes. Since the oil is safe for babies, it can be applied to chapped lips to make them soft.
- Many babies tend to suffer from cradle cap in the first few months after birth. This is often the dry and flaky patches that you may see on the scalp. Massaging sweet almond oil gently on the affected area or the entire scalp is beneficial in relieving dryness. You can leave the oil for about half an hour before washing it off. Your baby’s scalp will gradually heal from the same. In case the condition still persists, make sure you take baby for a doctor checkup immediately.
Caution While Using Almond Oil For Baby:
While there are many advantages of using almond oil or sweet almond oil, there are certain things you need to keep in mind to ensure it does not harm baby in any way.
- A baby’s skin is highly sensitive and you need to be extra careful while massaging. Be very gentle and use soft strokes. Start from the arms and move to the legs, chest, belly and back.
- Use only a few drops of almond oil, so that the skin absorbs it entirely. Many infants develop rashes because of excess oil that is left on the skin for a long time. If you are massaging before bath, make sure that all the extra oil is washed off.
[ Read: How To Bathe A Baby ]
- You must never apply oil around the navel, eyes, ears and nostrils, as there are chances of an infection if the oil enters these parts. Many Indian families follow putting oil in baby’s navel, ears and nose. This is highly dangerous and can lead to a medical emergency. Remember to not put oil on any of these areas.
- Do a sensitivity test on baby’s skin before applying the almond oil for the first time. Put a drop of oil on the arm and massage. Observe for a day how baby’s skin reacts to it.
It is true that sweet almond oil is one of the most suitable ones for infants. It is light in texture and will not clog the pores of your little one. However, it is always advisable to check with baby’s pediatrician before using a new product for baby. Also, thoroughly check the dates for use on the package before buying.
Share your baby oil massage experiences with us:
- Top 10 Baby Hair Oils That Work Wonders
- 3 Key Benefits Of Using Olive Oil For Babies
- Top 10 Oils That Are Good For Baby Skin