Food cravings are an inseparable part of pregnancy- there’s no denying that. If you’re one of those who have that sudden urge to grab something irresistibly sweet, but don’t want to be increasing your sugar intake, pregnancy cravings could be a tough task to deal with.
Fruits like strawberries can prove to be a lifesaver – they could help you satisfy that sweet tooth without the guilt. But is eating strawberry during pregnancy is really safe? Does its intake affect your baby in any way? Keep reading to find out.
Health Benefits Of Strawberries During Pregnancy:
Whether fresh or frozen, strawberries are known to be blessed with not just one or two, but lots and lots of health benefits. These juicy fruits are packed with many nutrients that work in improving health in several ways.
- Strawberries are a rich natural source of vitamin C, which is an amazing antioxidant that helps slow down ageing and protects the body from free radical damage.
- Their vitamin C content also wor
- It has also been found that strawberries could promote eye health and prevent the formation of cataracts and blindness in the older age. The vitamin C content of strawberries works well in strengthening the cornea and the retina of the eye as well.
- Recent studies have also found that strawberries could help protect against cancer too, all thanks to their antioxidant content which neutralizes the effects of free radicals on the cells.
- The heart and stroke foundation also claims that regular consumption of strawberries could help reduce the levels of bad cholesterol in the body, and thereby boost heart health.
[ Read: Cranberry During Pregnancy ]
Is Strawberry Good During Pregnancy?
To put it simply, strawberries can, and must be consumed during pregnancy. While these juicy fruits have a lot of health benefits in general, they could also prove to be quite beneficial if consumed during pregnancy.
The findings of a Tasmanian study have revealed that the consumption of strawberries during pregnancy could have a positive impact on the child’s ability to read later in life (1).
Strawberries contain good amounts of folic acid, which is essential during pregnancy, particularly when it comes to protecting the baby against neural tube defects.
Adequate folic acid in the diet can help reduce the risk of premature birth and several other conditions, and strawberries turn out to be an excellent source of folic acid.
It has been found that many pregnant women fail to meet their requirement of folic acid during pregnancy, and do not take supplements that are necessary- that’s when strawberries could be taken as a natural supplement of folic acid.
Simple Ways To Include Strawberries In Your Diet:
The best part about eating strawberries during pregnancy is that they are extremely versatile and can be added to the diet very easily. Infact, you’ll hardly find anyone who can resist indulging in this super sweet and luscious fruit.
- One of the best ways to include more of it in your diet is to simply have it raw- that way, you’ll retain most of the natural flavor and the important antioxidants and fiber that help boost health.
- You could also try whipping up a healthy strawberry smoothie or milkshake, or add some chopped strawberries to your bowl of breakfast cereal.
- Another great idea is to freeze crushed strawberries in ice pop moulds and enjoy fresh pops when you feel the summer heat getting to you.
Who says pregnancy diets are boring? Just wear your thinking cap and experiment with the healthiest foods to make it an awesome and yummy experience.
We hope this article helped you understand how strawberries could be beneficial during pregnancy. Do you have your own strawberry recipe to share? Let us know in the comments box below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Blueberries During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Figs During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Pears During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Tamarind During Pregnancy?