Pregnancy is the beginning of an incredible journey, a delicate and enjoyable phase of life for every woman.
Carrying a baby in your womb requires strength in your body. Eating foods that are high in nutrients is important for you and the development of your baby. Sometimes, you may feel tiredness and fatigue which can result in mood swings or stress. Make sure you include foods rich in minerals, vitamins and nutrients in your diet as this will keep you and your baby healthy and strong.
What Should Be The Nutrition During Pregnancy?
Getting your diet right and eating some extra calories during your pregnancy is worthwhile as long as it is nutritious. Your diet doesn’t have to be special but it must include variety of foods. Some of the best foods for healthy nutrition during pregnancy are given below:
1. Fruits And Vegetables:
Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is a healthy choice.
- These will provide you and your baby all kinds of vitamins an
- Fruits are rich in fiber which means your digestion will be perfect.
- You can beat fatigue by eating bananas and it is easy on your stomach as well.
- You can also enjoy consuming:
- Raw vegetables.
- Different types of fruits and vegetable juices (fresh juice only not the ones with preservatives).
- You can boil, cook or eat half cooked vegetables as well. Ensure the vegetables and fruits are washed properly before.
2. Dairy Foods:
Pasteurized dairy products are completely safe to be consumed during pregnancy.
- Yoghurt is rich in vitamin B and proteins which is essential for both you and your baby. It also enhances the brain power of your baby.
- Dairy products have iodine which is essential for the development of your baby.
- You can also enjoy eating cooked soft cheese during pregnancy but milk and yogurt (only pasteurized) are more nutritious.
- Cooked soft blue cheese like gorgonzola is fine to be consumed during pregnancy but unpasteurized soft cheese should be avoided. Other types of cheese must be avoided as it contains listeria bacteria.
[ Read: Sesame Seeds During Pregnancy ]
If you are craving for fish during pregnancy, then there is good news.
- You can eat most types of fish during pregnancy like, marlin, swordfish and shark.
- Eating cooked shellfish during pregnancy like lobster, mussels, prawns, crabs and clams are also fine.
- Raw shellfish should be avoided as it contains harmful bacteria and viruses that can be harmful for your baby’s development.
- Smoked fish or smoked salmon can be consumed.
- Eating fish is great for the development of the baby but some types of fish should be avoided completely.
- Tuna: Eating 140 grams of cooked tuna steaks (not more than two) or 170 grams of raw tuna is fine to eat. Do not eat more than 4 medium sized cans of tuna a week as it has more amount of mercury.
- Oily Fish: Don’t have more than two portions of oily fish in a week. Either have two steaks of tuna or oily fish in a week. Do not have both.
Enjoy eating peanuts and peanut butter during pregnancy until and unless you are allergic.
- Opt for healthy peanut butter sandwiches.
- You can also create a roasted peanut snack with lemon juice and black pepper.
- Make a peanut salad by tossing in lots of fresh cut vegetables and greens.