Pregnancy brings along a long list of to-do’s and don’ts to ensure the proper growth and development of your baby.
Pregnant women are often advised to make changes to their diet and stay away from certain foods that may possibly cause certain health risks pertaining to various researches, myths and misconceptions. One fo them is about honey – is it really safe to be consumed while expecting? Let’s find out.
Some Benefits Of Honey For Pregnant Women:
Honey is actually packed with many properties and nutrients that make it a great food to be added to the diet. Check out 4 amazing benefits of honey during pregnancy
- It possesses natural antibiotic properties.
- It has the ability to reduce allergic reactions.
- It has also been found to reduce and inhibit the growth of H. Pyroli, a bacterium that is known to cause ulcers.
- Honey also possesses natural analgesic action, which makes it a great natural remedy for burns.
- Honey is a healthy and natural sweetener, which is perfect fo
Certain studies have found that honey contains antioxidants and flavonoids, which may reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
[ Read: Artificial Sweeteners During Pregnancy ]
A Discussion On Eating Honey During Pregnancy:
Is honey good during pregnancy? There is no medical literature to support the fact that honey is not safe to be consumed during pregnancy. However, with the recent developments in technology, especially in the field of agriculture and food production, everything is not what it seems. For instance, a lot of foods, that we eat today, are loaded with fertilizers and additives, which may be harmful to health in the long run.
Adulterated forms of honey, when consumed during pregnancy, could actually pose health risks to both the mother and the baby, since pregnancy is a very vulnerable phase of life. Hence, we can conclude that pure and pasteurized forms of honey are completely safe for consumption during pregnancy.
Allergic Reaction To Honey:
Honey may contain certain spores, which may harm maternal and/or foetal health. In such cases, it is advisable to have a talk with your doctor and get an allergy test done; especially if you are changing a brand of honey that you usually buy.
The spores, if present, will also not cause harm to your baby. This is because these spores cannot tolerate an acidic pH, and they die in the presence of the adult digestive system and do not reach your baby.
[ Read: Dates During Pregnancy ]
Tips To Remember:
Yes, honey is safe to be consumed during pregnancy. Nevertheless, there are certain important points you may need to keep in mind before you consume it.
- It is always advisable to pick up pasteurized form of honey during pregnancy. This is because raw forms may contain certain disease-causing bacteria.
- Purchase honey from trusted brands. Most commercially available honey undergoes extensive processes before they are finally bottled up and marketed, so any health risks associated with the consumption of any of these is next to nil.
- Choose honey that has undergone minimal processing and is organic in nature.
- Some raw forms of honey are known to contain a bacterium known as clostridium botulinum, which is thought to increase the risk of a condition known as botulism.
[ Read: Milk For Pregnant Women ]
In general, honey is a great alternative for white sugar, and offer many health benefits. You can certainly consume it during your pregnancy, as long as the honey is purchased pure and preferably organic. If you still have any concerns, make an appointment with your doctor and talk it out.
And the next time you feel a sore throat coming up, don’t hesitate to gulp down your traditional home remedy of honey mixed with basil leaves!
Do share your views on how beneficial is honey for pregnant women with us.
- Is It Safe To Have Artificial Sweeteners During Pregnancy?
- What Are The Benefits Of Eating Amla During Pregnancy?
- 8 Amazing Nutritional Benefits Of Eating Nuts During Pregnancy
- 8 Surprising Benefits Of Dates During Pregnancy