One of the scariest thing you can encounter as a mother is a baby burning with fever. But the worst thing you can do is to trust your mom instinct and give her medication without checking her temperature.Read this post to know more about how to take baby temperature.
It is very important to take your baby’s temperature to decide if you need to call your doctor. Not all fever is dangerous, and not all of them require intensive medical treatment.
The first thing you need is a thermometer! But if you go to buy one, you are sure to get confused! So, let us help you out!
Types Of Thermometers:
Clueless about the type of thermometer to use for your baby? Well, all thermometers have their benefits. So, let us just list out the types of thermometers available in the market so you can take a pick and learn how to check baby temperature!
1. Mercury Thermometers:
Once the only ones available, mercury thermometers today are losing their sheen. They break easily, and the mercury i
2. Digital Thermometers:
Taking infant temperature is easy with this one.Digital thermometers are becoming increasingly popular today. They record body temperature using electronic heat sensors. You can use them in the rectum, mouth, or armpit.
3. Digital Ear Thermometers:
It is an amazing piece of technology that uses infrared rays to measure the temperature inside the ear canal.
4. Digital Pacifier Thermometer:
It is something all mothers will surely want in their medicine cabinet. All you need to do is let your child suck the thermometer to let it record the temperature!
[ Read: Home Remedies For Cold In Infants ]
5. Temporal Artery Thermometers:
These jazzy little thermometers use an infrared scanner to check the temperature of the temporal artery in the forehead.
So, these are the major kinds of thermometer you can choose. But a digital thermometer remains the best option.
How to Take Baby Temperature Using A Digital Thermometer?
A digital thermometer is your best friend when it comes to checking your baby’s temperature. If you are confused about how to use it, check out the instructions given here:
- Switch on the thermometer.
- Ensure that that the screen is fresh, i.e. the screen does not contain an old reading.
- Let your baby be in a comfortable position. If she is happier sitting on your lap, let her. If she prefers lying down, so be it. You need her to be happy while you take her temperature.
- Now, place the thermometer under your baby’s armpit. Make sure the tip of the thermometer is touching your little one’s bare skin.
- Next comes the most difficult part! Babies are impatient. So, it will be a battle to make her sit still while the thermometer is at work. You’ll need to hold the thermometer in place with one of your hands and make sure your baby’ hand is held firm over her chest. You can get toys or other fun objects to keep your baby busy for 15 seconds – the time the digital thermometer needs to measure your baby’s temperature.
- And you are done! You can now read your baby’s body temperature on the thermometer screen.
Now this is the most common way to check your baby’s temperature. There are other ways too! Check them out!
1. Rectal Temperature:
To use your digital thermometer to check the rectal temperature, you’ll first need to lubricate the tip of the device. You can use Vaseline to do the trick. Then switch on your digital thermometer. Next insert the thermometer into your baby’s rectum. The best way to do so is by making her lie down on her back and raising her thighs. Hold the device for the prescribed time and check the reading.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Viral Fever In Babies ]
2. Ear Temperature:
If you are using an ear thermometer, place it gently in your baby’s ear. Hold it tightly until you get the final reading.
3. Temporal Artery Temperature:
It is the easiest way to use a thermometer! Simply sweep the thermometer across your baby’s forehead and check the number!
When To Call Your Doctor:
Now you know how to check your baby’s temperature. Call your doctor in the following situations:
- If your baby is younger than three months and has a fever of 100.4 F.
- If your baby is below six months and has a fever of 102.2 F.
[ Read: When To Call Doctor For Baby Fever ]
Things To Remember:
Now you know how to use a thermometer. But here are some safety measures you should follow while using these devices:
- Always read the instructions before you use a thermometer.
- Clean the thermometer before and after use. You can use warm water or rubbing alcohol to do so.
- If you are planning to use a digital thermometer to take the rectal temperature, make sure you have another one for oral use.
- Never leave your baby unattended with a thermometer.
A fever is not a medical emergency. A fever is just an indication that your baby’s body is fighting off an infection. So, don’t panic when your baby is down with fever. As long as it is not too high, you can simply use baby Tylenol to provide your baby some relief. Remember, to check with your doctor about the dosage.
Relax, your baby will be fine!
So, how do you check your baby’s temperature? Tell us.
- 10 Best Baby Product Brands
- 7 Causes & 8 Effective Home Remedies For Fever In Toddlers
- Is Benadryl Safe For Infants?
- 25 Best Selling Baby Products You Should Definitely Know