Do you find your toddler’s sore throat getting severe? Well, in that case he might be suffering from Strep throat. The good news is there are ways you can soothe his throat following the right measures.
Strep throat is a kind of bacterial infection that results in inflammation of the tonsils and adenoids. This is generally common among toddlers going to school. But, what causes strep throat in toddlers? Group A beta-haemolytic Streptococcus (GABS) is said to be the common cause behind Strep throat. This infection can give rise to complications in different parts of his body as well.
Signs And Symptoms Of Strep Throat In Toddlers:
It is very important that you are aware of the symptoms associated with Strep throat. This way you can start your tot’s treatment before it gets serious. Here are the symptoms you should be watchful of:
- Night walking and sleeplessness
- General irritation
- Fever over 101 degree Fahrenheit
- Reduced appetite
- Rashes in his legs, torso and arms
- Blood in nasal discharge
- Swollen glands in the neck
It is generally easy to detect a sore throat, but it is often difficult to detect a Strep throat. Strep throat is not accompanied with sneezing, stuffy or runny nose and coughing. If your toddler has the cold symptoms, he is probably not suffering from a Strep throat.
[ Read: Fever In Toddlers ]
What You Can Do If Your Toddler Has A Strep Throat?
You must visit the doctor as soon as you suspect your toddler suffering from Strep throat. Your toddler may suffer from serious complications, if this is left untreated. In extreme cases he might also develop kidney disease. Here we shall take a look at what you should do when your toddler is suspected of Strep throat:
- Take your toddler to a physician, who shall perform physical examination and ask for a throat culture.
- He will rub a cotton swab at the back of this throat for the culture. This will help in detection of Group A Streptococcus bacteria.
- Your doctor may opt for a rapid Strep test. Again, in some cases he may send the sample to the lab for detailed examination. It may take around two days for you to get the results.
- Your doctor will begin with the regular course of antibiotics, if the results are positive. This will help reduce the discomforts and symptoms related to Strep throat.
- Regular doses of antibiotics will also prevent spreading of Strep throat among others.
- You must complete the course of antibiotics even if he gets well. This will ensure the symptoms do not reappear.
[ Read: Cold Sores In Toddlers ]
How Can You Prevent Strep Throat?
Strep throat is a contagious disease, so make sure to wash his hands regularly so that it does not spread among the rest in the family. You need to follow the precautionary measures stated below to prevent it from spreading among others:
- It is better to avoid crowded places during spring and fall. This is the time when Strep throat circulates the most.
- In case it is not possible to keep your toddler away from the crowd, make sure he is away from toddlers who are sick.
- Teach your toddler to avoid touching mouth, nose and eyes, as the bacteria can enter from different parts of the body.
- It is better to offer him a new toothbrush to prevent infections from spreading.
[ Read: Cold In Toddlers ]
Recurring strep throat in toddlers is an indication of weak immune system. Get in touch with your doctor and let him decide the right course of treatment.
Moms share with us your experience when your toddler suffered from Strep throat in the comment section below.
References : 1
- 14 Common Symptoms Of Meningitis In Toddlers
- 12 Serious Symptoms Of Scarlet Fever In Babies & Toddlers
- 7 Serious Symptoms Of Asthma In Toddlers You Should Be Aware Of
- 5 Common Causes Of Stomach Pain In Toddlers