Does your toddler find it difficult to swallow and is she turning into a fussy eater? Well, she may be suffering from a sore throat caused by viral infection. Figuring out the real reason why she is not feeling well can be a major challenge for you.
Take a look at the clues, like does she complain about pain when she swallows? If she has a sore throat, it is probably the first sign of her illness.
Symptoms Of Sore Throat In Toddlers:
Even though these are not very serious, understanding the symptoms are highly essential to soothe her discomforts. When you are armed with proper knowledge, it becomes easier for you to detect the problem and find the right solution as well. Make sure to call the doctor and take appropriate suggestions first.
If you are not able to detect the symptoms clearly, the probable cause behind sore throat may be tobacco smoke or dry air.
Other than that, you need to watch for the following sore throat symptoms in toddlers:
- Loss of appetite
- Slight fever
- Congestion in nose
- Swollen tonsils
- Pain in stomach at times
[ Read: Home Remedies For Cold In Toddlers ]
Treatment For Sore Throat In Toddlers:
There are generally no treatments suggested for a viral infection and your toddler can overcome the virus within a week. However, make sure she gets plenty of fluids and rest to ward off her illness.
Here is what you should know:
- If the doctor suspects a bacterial infection, he will take cell samples from her throat.
- He will suggest a rapid strep test that brings out results in 10 minutes. If the results are found to be negative, the sample will be sent back for accurate results. You can expect the results in a day or two.
- If your toddler is found to have a bacterial infection, she will be prescribed antibiotics. Make sure you follow the instructions well. Continue with the medication even once she gets well, to reduce chances of re-occurrences.
- In case she develops aggressive infection, you may have to hospitalize her for few days for intravenous fluids and drugs.
[ Read: Strep Throat In Toddlers ]
Is Sore Throat Contagious?
The viral and bacterial infections can be highly contagious. Take a look at what you can do to prevent it from spreading:
- You must wash your hands before handling your baby.
- Keep her utensils separate and change her diapers frequently.
- Make sure she is at home till she feels better.
What You Can Do To Ease Her Discomforts?
You can offer hot beverages in order to provide your toddler sore throat relief . It is better to avoid citric fruits that will make her feel worse.
Here are some things that you must keep in mind:
- Keep your toddler hydrated.
- If she is too young, you can add breast milk or formula solution to her food to make a smooth paste. Do not offer foods that are difficult to swallow.
- If she feels very uncomfortable, ask your doctor about painkillers like ibuprofen and acemtaminophen. You must not offer her aspirin that is associated with Reye’s syndrome.
- A humidifier or a cool mist vaporizer will keep the room moist. You must keep the filters clean, so that there are no germs in the air.
[ Read: Home Remedies For Fever In Toddlers ]
While sore throat can be taken care of at home, you need to call the doctor if the irritation persists. You must see her doctor if she has fever around 103 degree centigrade. It can be a sign of streptococcus infection that will require antibiotics.
Moms share with us the natural remedies you tried at home to help your toddler with sore throat in the comment section below.
Reference : 1
- 4 Serious Causes Of Cold Sores In Toddlers
- 5 Serious Causes Of Acid Refluxes In Toddlers
- 8 Signs And Symptoms Of Strep Throat In Toddlers
- 11 Serious Signs And Symptoms Of Bronchitis In Toddlers