Are you worried whether your child’s weight is healthy or not? Do you feel your child is eating healthy but may not have the ideal weight? Do you want to measure your child’s ideal weight according to height and age and know how to improve it if needed?
If you are looking at any of the above questions, read on to find more on healthy weight for children and what your child’s ideal weight should be.
What Is BMI?
BMI is the short form of Body Mass Index. It is a measurement that is used to calculate your child’s weight and height. It can accurately tell you the amount of fat that your child has in his body and correlates to the direct measure of your child’s body fat. In case of your child, BMI will be age and gender specific and is mostly referred to as BMI for age.
What Is BMI Percentile?
Once the BMI is calculated, the BMI number is measured on BMI for age charts to get a percentile ranking. It is the most common indicator to check the size and growth pattern of your chi
[ Read: Iron Rich Foods For Kids ]
How To Use BMI For Your Child?
BMI calculator is recommended to be used from children who are two years and above. BMI will not clearly indicate whether your child is healthy or not. Your child may have a high BMI count as per his age and gender. To understand whether or not he has any excess weight and how much excess weight can cause a health issue, you should get your child diagnosed by a health care provider. The doctor may check for other factors like the measurements of skinfold thickness, evaluation of your child’s diet, your child’s family medical and health history, your child’s level of physical activity and other such related health screenings. 
Before you calculate your child’s BMI, you have to accurately measure the height and weight at home. Here is how you can do it at home:
[ Read: Best Nutritious Foods For Kids ]
How To Measure Your Child’s Height Accurately At Home:
- Make sure you remove your child’s shoes, any heavy clothing or hair decorations. Also, if your child’s hair is braided, open it so that it does not interfere with any measurements. 
- Let your child stand on the bare floor, one that does not have a carpet or rug over it. Your child has to stand along the wall especially one that has no molding.
- Ask your child to stand with their feet placed flat and together against a wall. Your child’s legs should be straight, arms should be at the sides and the shoulders should be level.
- Your child should be looking ahead and the line of sight should be parallel to the floor.
- Take your child’s measurements in such a way that the shoulders, head, heels and buttocks touch the flat surface of the wall. Not all parts of your child’s body may touch the wall depending on the body shape.
- Take a flat headpiece and use it to make a right angle along the wall. Bring the headpiece down till it firmly touches your child’s crown of the head.
- Your eyes should be at the same level as that of the headpiece.
- Make a light mark where the bottom part of the headpiece connects to the wall. Using a metal tape, start the measurement from the base at the floor. Take it to the marked measure on the wall to get your child’s height measurement.
- You have to record your child’s height accurately to the nearest 1/8th inch or to a 0.1 centimeter.
[ Read: Foods For Increasing Height In Children ]
How To Measure Your Child Healthy Weight Accurately At Home:
- To measure your child’s weight at home, use a digital scale. Do not use a bathroom scale that is loaded with spring. Place it on the floor on a firm surface without a carpet or a rug. 
- Make sure your child removes any shoes or heavy clothing like jackets or sweaters.
- Your child has to stand with both the feet in the center of the weighing scale.
- You have to record your healthy child weight accurately to the nearest decimal fraction.
[ Read: Healthy Food For Children To Gain Weight ]