Have you taught your children the importance of fruits and vegetables yet? Do you plan to introduce your children to the goodness of eating vegetables and fruits? Have you tried to make them eat well but nothing seems to work yet?
If you are another mom who is out on a quest to make her children eat fruits and vegetables, you are not alone. Join many more moms in reading this article to know the importance of fruits and vegetables for kids.
Importance Of Fruits And Vegetables For Children:
Fruits and vegetables play an important role in your children’s overall growth and development. According to USDA My Plate, it is important you make at least half of your child’s plate filled with fruits and vegetables (1).
Here are some very important reasons behind the importance of fruits and vegetables for kids:
1. Overall Nutrition:
Fruits and vegetables contain a host of nutrition that is great for your child’s overall nutrition (2).
- Your child will get his daily dose of fiber, v
- Dietary fiber helps to keep blood cholesterol levels in check and also reduces the chances of heart diseases. It also aids in the smooth movement of bowels and prevents constipation. Dietary fiber will also help your child feel full.
- Vitamin A will help to keep your child’s eyes and skin healthy. It will also protect them from infection. Vitamin C will help your child heal better from cuts or wounds. It will also keep your child’s gums and teeth healthy. Vitamin C will also help your child absorb iron better from other foods.
- Potassium helps to keep your child’s blood pressure levels in check.
- Folate helps your child’s body to form red blood cells.
[ Read: Best Nutritious Foods For Kids ]
2. Keeps Intestines In Good Health:
Your child may often face constipation, as it is a common condition during the growing up years (3).
- Fruits and vegetables contain fiber that helps to promote regular and smooth bowel movements in your child.
- It also protects your child from the risk of developing the gastrointestinal disease known as diverticulosis.
- If your child has a tendency of suffering from constipation, including fruits like plums, pears, prunes, raisins and vegetables like beans and broccoli to help ease the condition.
[ Read: Ways To Get Kids To Eat More Vegetables ]
3. Helps Achieve Better Academic Performance:
Eating fresh fruits and vegetables can directly improve your child’s academic performance (4).
- Children who eat a balanced meal comprising of fresh fruits and vegetables will be able to retain better memory and have better concentration power.
- It will also keep your child’s overall health in good shape, thus ensuring your child can be at school regularly and perform better.
[ Read: Vegetable Soup Recipes For Kids ]
4. Prevents Obesity:
Eating a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables will also prevent obesity in your children (5).
- Fruits and vegetables are wholesome foods but do not have any calories. A diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables will also reduce the risk of several cancers in later years as well as many chronic diseases.
- Fruits and vegetables contain a lot of fiber and water. Once your child has these, he will full as it will add volume to the dishes.
[ Read: Healthy Fruit Snacks For Kids ]
5. Prevents Various Diseases And Infections:
Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables will prevent your kid from many diseases and infections.
- Including fruits and vegetables in your child’s regular diet will help cut down the risk of various common ailments like cold and flu.
- Developing a taste for fresh and healthy eating at this age will help your child eat healthy in later years too.
There are various health benefits of fruits and vegetables for kids. Encourage them to eat healthy by eating them yourself.