We all pray for a perfectly normal child, yet some of us bring home a child who has special needs, in terms of development. While having a child with developmental disorders can be quite a challenge for the parents, often, with love, understanding and correct guidance, this issue can be taken care of quite smoothly.
There are many times you may find yourself saying things like, “my child is just too lazy” or “it is just that he daydreams a lot”, when you find our children struggling in class. While this could actually be the case, it could also be that the child is incapable to meet your expectations, due to developmental or learning disorder.
In recent times, there has been an increase in awareness in issues like developmental disorders in children. Intervention upon identification is a must to help your child lead a healthy and happy life.
A Closer Look At Developmental Disorders Among Children:
When your child fails to adopt basic life skills that are age appropriate, she fa
The most common developmental disorders in children are:
- ADHD or Attention Deficit Disorder
- ASD or Autism Spectrum Disorder
1. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD):
This is a developmental and behavioral disorder and should not be mistaken to be any form of illness. In this case, it becomes difficult for children to control their behavior. It is possible for a child with ADHD to lead a normal life with proper care, understanding and medical assistance.
a. Children With ADHD:
You can find the following behaviors in children with ADHD:
- It becomes difficult for children to concentrate, they tend to forget instructions, find it difficult to sit in one place and keep moving from here to there before completing a task.
- Children with ADHD are generally very impulsive and they cannot wait for their turn.
- Over activity is another symptom in children with ADHD. They seem to talk too much and feel restless when it comes to sitting or standing in a place.
- ADHD is diagnosed in children less than 6 years, however, the symptoms may occur even before.
[ Read: Anxiety In Children ]
b. Cure For ADHD:
Even though there is no proven cure, you can try out different treatment options such as:
- Counseling sessions that help setting behavioral goals and monitor progress of the child.
- Participate in trainings to know how to deal with a child who has ADHD.
- Stimulating medicines are generally effective and safe for children with ADHD.
2. Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD):
This is another form of developmental disorder in children that is generally present since birth. The symptoms get clearer as the child starts getting older.
a. Causes Behind Autism:
There is no single underlying cause behind autism. Here are some of the probable causes behind it:
- Research studies show that biological causes lead to abnormal functioning.
- Family history of autism increases chances of the next child to be born with the same developmental disorder.
- Sibling of an autistic child has 2-3% of probability to develop autism.
[ Read: Activities For Children With Autism ]
b. Recognition Of Child With Autism:
Children born with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) may suffer from one or most of the difficulties stated below:
- It may become difficult for the child to socialize. The child seems less responsive to affection. You may also see inappropriate expressions and behaviors at times.
- Your child may find it difficult to communicate with others. Poor gestures and lack of eye contact are common among the autistic children.
c. Diagnosis And Care:
Professionals and experts work along with child psychiatrist and the developmental pediatrician to assess the child. The different diagnostic measures include the following:
- Different assessment tools are used for diagnosing autism.
- The language and speech skills of the child are determined to assess intellectual ability.
- The assessments help professionals devise a better plan of action.
- It is important to note that children may exhibit one or more of these difficulties. However, it is important to judge the degree of developmental disorder in children.
[ Read: Behavioral Disorders In Children ]
Your child has every right to get an education like others. So what if your child is not like everyone else out there? He or she is special, the most special baby you could have. Help your child stay out of any feeling of being less and help him or her see the beautiful world with your love and support. Cheers to you!
Share your thoughts and experiences with other parents here.
- 5 Types And 9 Ways To Deal With Anxiety Disorders In Your Kid
- Personality Disorders In Children – 6 Causes & 3 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 6 Common Behavioral Problems In Children & Their Remedies
- 10 Key Pointers To Help Your Child Develop Positive Thinking & Attitude