Are you looking for alternate forms of medicines for your kid? Are you curious how Ayurveda can benefit your kid? If you can relate to the above situations, read on to know more on the subject of Ayurveda for kids.
Ayurveda is an ancient medical system that originated in India thousands of years ago. It is a holistic system of healing that focuses on promoting wellness rather than just on curing diseases. But is ayurvedic medicine for kids a safe treatment option? Go ahead and give this post a read to unearth the truth!
The concept of Ayurveda medicinal theory is that good health is a result of a harmony between the mind, body and the soul. The basic principle of Ayurveda is that all human beings have a specific Prakriti, which is the basic constitution of their body. It comprises of a combination of five elements such as the earth, space, air, water, and fire. The specific combinations of these elements make up the main life forces or doshas in the body, which are Pitta,
Ayurveda consists of eight specialties, one of which is the pediatrics. The Kaumarbhritya is the discipline of Ayurveda that specializes in paediatrics (2).
Bala Chikitsa or Kaumarbhritya focuses on childcare right from the fetal stage to adolescence. The Kapha dosha directly affects the growth and development in childhood. A disturbance in the Kapha dosha is the cause of most childhood diseases. To this end, kids who frequently suffer from illnesses must refrain from eating cold foods and beverages, sweets in excess and buffalo’s milk.
Some examples of simple treatments of ayurveda for children are the following:
- For toothache, kids can apply camphor and eucalyptus oils on the affected area.
- One remedy for diarrhea is to consume pomegranate rind powder along with the juice of the fruit.
- To cure the loss of appetite, kids can consume warm milk and ginger powder.
- For the common cold, the remedy is to drink the juice of ginger and lime with warm water.
- One way to treat abdominal pain is to drink water mixed with cumin powder and rock salt.
A routine examination by an Ayurvedic practitioner is quite similar to conventional health checkups. It can include questions about the patient’s diet, lifestyle, medical history and symptoms of the disease. It may also involve a thorough evaluation of his height, weight, body contours, pulse and hair, skin and nail health and other lab tests (3).
[ Read: Loss Of Appetite In Children ]
Top Five Recommendations By Ayurvedic Pediatricians:
Ayurvedic pediatricians recommend the intake of a good diet and herbal medicines to safeguard the optimum physical and mental development of kids. Here we have mentioned top 5 recommendations for ayurvedic medicine for kids:
- To promote fetal health and growth, Ayurveda recommends mothers to take a diet of easily-digested foods, which is free of toxins. An expecting mother must begin to take a healthy diet by the fifth month of her pregnancy for proper mental development of the fetus.
- During the third trimester, women must avoid hot and pungent foods and consume herbs such asBrahmi or Shankhapushpi.
- According to Ayurvedic medicine, breast milk is extremely important for infants. Many medicinal herbs are available for lactating women to improve the quality and quantity of the breast milk.
- Kids up to five years can consumeghee, rice and medicines for their brain development.
- For kids older than five years, medicines such asBrahmi Gritham and Mustharishtam helps sharpen their memory and optimize brain development.
[ Read: Benefits Of Aromatherapy For Children ]
A Word Of Caution:
- Ayurvedic medicines can also cause side effects. In case your kid suffers from any adverse reaction, immediately consult his doctor.
- Consult a licensed Ayurveda expert to know about the best medicines for your kid’s growth and development.
Remember, it is important to treat Ayurvedic medicines as conventional drugs in terms of safety precautions. Always talk to your kid’s primary healthcare provider before he begins any Ayurvedic treatment as certain medicines can adversely react with herbs and cause medical complications.
Do you give ayurveda for child health care? Please share your experience and advice with us.
- 6 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Cough In Children
- Hirschsprung Disease In Children – Everythiong You Need To Know
- 5 Serious Causes Of Gas Pain In Children
- Dehydration In Children – 9 Causes & 9 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of