Did you know that walnuts could help regulate your kid’s blood pressure? Ever wondered what other health benefits walnuts have? Do you know any delicious walnut-based recipes to rustle up for your kids? If these questions left you stumped, don’t worry! Read on and learn about some of the amazing health benefits of walnuts.
Walnuts are dry fruits that almost look like a miniature human brain. They add many essential nutrients to your kid’s plate. Consider including them in your little champions diet to make him smarter and stronger.
Walnut Benefits For Kids – An Overview:
Walnuts hail from a family of Brazil nuts, Cashew nuts, Hazelnuts, Pistachios, Pecans and Pine nuts. The nuts originated in India and the Caspian Sea region. (1) Walnuts are a regular ingredient in many varieties of ice cream and chocolates, which is why they are known as Persian walnuts. Black and White walnuts originate from North America.
Nutrient Value Of Walnuts:
Walnuts boast of an amazing array of
1. Omega-3 fatty acids:
Walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are highly essential, as they help your kid maintain a normal blood pressure. Moreover, the nuts also help reduce your kid’s cholesterol level, reduce inflammation and keep his heart healthy. (2) One of the most important walnut benefits for kids.
Walnuts contain high amounts of magnesium. The mineral is vital for your kid as a low level of magnesium can increase the risk of him contracting Type 2 Diabetes. (3)
Walnuts are rich sources of Vitamin B1 and B6. These vitamins are essential for brain tissue development and promoting your nerve health. (4)
Walnuts are good in the healthy fat, polyunsaturated fat (PUFA) and also contain monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) (5). These fats help lower your kid’s LDL or bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease later on in his life.
Benefits Of Walnuts:
Walnuts contain high amounts of essential nutrients. Some of their health benefits include:
1. Improves Memory:
Walnuts are good for your kid’s brain as they improve the brain power by increasing memory and boosting brain cell activity. (6)
2. For Hair:
Walnuts play a major role in keeping your child’s hair lustrous and shiny, as they contain high amounts of biotin. (7)
3. Strong Antioxidant Properties:
Walnuts exhibit strong antioxidant properties and help your kid’s body get rid of toxic substances and free radicals.
Candied Walnut Recipe:
Walnuts are one of the most nutritious snacks for your kids. However, if your kid seems to be put off by the weird shape or you can’t get him to eat walnuts, consider making some candied walnuts for him. Follow the recipe below and let your little one relish the crunchy goodness of these nuts.
You Will Need:
- Sugar (around ¼ cup)
- Honey (approx. one tablespoon)
- Water (around 2 cups)
- Salt to taste
- Walnut halves (around 2/3rd cup)
- Aluminum foil
- Baking sheet
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Mix honey, water, salt, and sugar in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture out into a pan and cook for around 3-4 minutes over medium or high heat, occasionally stirring.
- Add walnuts to the pan and reduce the heat
- Wait until the mixture turns golden brown.
- Proceed to spread this mixture evenly on a baking sheet.
- Once the walnut mixture cools down, break it into clusters.
- Refrigerate for an hour
- You can either store the clusters in an airtight container or add them to your kid’s favorite dessert.
[ Read: Snack Ideas For Kids On The Go ]
We hope you found the information useful. If you know of any other delicious walnut-based recipes for kids, share them with other moms here. They would love to hear from you.
- Top 10 Yummy Apple Recipes For Your Kids To Try Out Today
- Top 15 Healthy Recipes For Kids Meals
- What Is The Recommended Potassium Intake For Children?