Breastfeeding, just like pregnancy, requires the new mom to follow a healthy and nutritious diet at all times. Most moms already know that consumption of specific foods should be avoided during breastfeeding, since these foods can enter the baby’s bloodstream through breast milk, and could have a negative impact on his health.
One such food type is eggs, a rich source of dietary protein. But is it safe to eat eggs during breastfeeding? Keep reading to find out.
Is It Safe to Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding?
The base rule to follow while breastfeeding is to make sure that you get around 500 extra calories a day to meet your baby’s needs, and most of this should come from healthy foods (1).
Eggs are generally okay to be consumed during breastfeeding. Infact, they could actually turn out to be a good natural source of protein required for both you and your baby, and it is okay to consume them a few times every week (2).
[ Read: Foods To Avoid While Breastfeeding ]
Health Benefits Of Eating Eggs When Breastfeeding:
Consuming eggs during pregnancy and breastfeeding could be a good choice, since eggs are loaded with many health benefits.
- Eggs are packed with many nutrients, vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, vitamin B2, vitamin B12, folate, selenium, phosphorous, calcium, zinc and many more.
- They contain 6 gm of protein and 5 gm of healthy fats.
- The consumption of eggs is thought to raise the levels of good cholesterol in the body, which thereby reduces the risk of heart disease, stroke and many other health issues.
- Eggs contain a compound known as choline, which is important for many different functions of the body.
- They also bag in different antioxidants that offer benefits for the eye health and prevent macular degeneration and cataract.
- Eggs are the best natural source of proteins, and they contain different amino acids in the right ratios needed for the body.
[ Read: Is It Safe To Eat Peanuts While Breastfeeding ]
Egg Allergy – Important Points To Know:
While it is generally okay to consume eggs while you breastfeed your baby, there are certain important points to keep note of.
- First, regardless of whether or not you are breastfeeding, you must never consume raw eggs.
- Eating raw eggs while breastfeeding is thought to increase the risk of salmonella infections, which can lead to symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, nausea and fever.
- It is therefore, best to avoid consuming foods such as Hollandaise sauce, raw cookie dough, salad dressings and frostings that contain raw eggs.
- It is also a good idea to have your baby tested for any allergies whatsoever before you start to include any possibly allergic foods in your diet while you are breastfeeding.
- If your baby is allergic to eggs, he could possibly develop symptoms such as nausea, abdominal cramps, breathing problems, rashes, hives, vomiting, swelling of the throat and tongue, asthma and others on exposure to egg.
- If you note any of these symptoms in your baby, try avoiding consuming eggs for a while and see if the condition improves.
- It is also a good idea to have a doctor’s advice at this point and understand how severe your baby’s egg allergy actually is.
- Also, if your baby is severely allergic, you may want to keep track of others foods that you consume.
- A lot of processed and packaged foods tend to contain eggs, which could also trigger allergic reactions in your baby.
- Stay away from mayonnaise, salad dressings, battered seafood and other store bought sauces.
[ Read: Eating Seafood While Breastfeeding ]
We hope this article helped you make a decision about eating eggs while breastfeeding. Did you find the information on eggs and breastfeeding helpful? Do let us know in the comments box below.
- Is Green Tea Safe While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Eat Spicy Food During Breastfeeding?
- 5 Serious Side Effects Of Caffeine While Breast-Feeding
- Is It Safe For A Breastfeeding Mom To Eat Honey?
- 10 Superfoods For Breastfeeding