Are you wondering when to introduce solid food to your little one? Are you thinking about which food ingredients to introduce first? If you are confused and searching for a definitive answer, you have come to the right place.
For the first few months, your baby fed on your breast milk and now is the time to help him move on to some solid food. What do you begin with, is a common question most mothers ask. The answer is watermelon. But, is watermelon good for babies?
Yes, this tropical fruit contains 93% water. There are about 1,200 varieties of watermelon cultivated all over the world, with China being the largest producer of watermelons. Read on to know more about the health benefits of watermelon, how to select one and precautions you should take before feeding watermelon for baby.
Health Benefits Of Watermelon For Babies:
Why watermelon? One simple reason is that it is soft and easy to pick. But it’s not just about being easy to eat; the fruit has other nutritional val
The lycopene content increases as the fruit ripens. It is an antioxidant which:
- Prevents cancer.
- Is good for the heart.
- Helps lower t.
- he rate of asthma attacks.
[ Read: Strawberry Recipes For Babies ]
2. Vitamin C:
It is extremely essential that you include vitamin C to your baby’s diet as it:
- Fights with the infection.
- Makes immune system strong.
- Helps in increasing red blood cell and hemoglobin through iron absorption.
3. Vitamin A:
Vitamin A is highly recommended for your little one’s eye sight. Apart from vision, other benefits are:
- Healthy glowing skin.
- Soft tissue and mucus membrane.
- Strong teeth.
[ Read: Peaches For Babies ]
4. Bone Development:
Watermelon also contains calcium and manganese which help in the development of your child’s bones:
- Calcium is important for hormone secretion.
- Magnesium helps in building muscle and nerve function in babies.
5. Vitamin B complex:
Vitamin B complex includes sets of vitamin which provide various benefits. Some of them help in:
- Producing red blood cell.
- Development of the nervous system.
- Strengthening the immune system.
[ Read: Kiwi Fruit Recipes For Babies ]
How To Select Watermelon For Babies:
You will be happy to learn that watermelon is the least contaminated fruit with pesticides. When selecting a watermelon, there are several features you should know of.
1. A fully grown watermelon is heavy compared to its size.
2. The watermelon should look smooth and little dull on the top.
3. To understand if the watermelon is ripened or not, give a good thump with your finger.
4. A ripe watermelon should sound hollow when tapped.
5. Inspect it for cuts and spots before buying. There could be an indication of it being rotten or over ripened.
6. In a fully ripened watermelon, the ground spot or underbelly turns yellow or creamy.
[ Read: Orange Juice For Babies ]
Precautions While Feeding Watermelon:
- Do not feed your baby pre-cut watermelon. Buy the whole fruit from the market. Pre-cut fruits have high risk of contamination.
- Cut the fruit at home in small pieces and store the rest in the refrigerator.
- When you give the same fruit again, make sure that the frozen watermelon reaches room temperature or else your baby might catch cold.
- Do not buy canned or frozen watermelon. Fresh farm watermelons are extra crunchy, juicy and healthy.
- As a mother, you may think that giving juice is better than giving chunks. But feeding watermelon juice for babies is not a good idea. Fruit juice increases the risk of dental cavities and your baby will not show interest in eating solid food later on. If the baby doesn’t eat the tiny solid pieces of watermelon, try smashing it up a little.
- Lastly, carefully remove all the seeds before feeding watermelon to babies. Watermelon is filled with seeds and so there is a risk of choking.
[ Read: Benefits Of Grapefruit For Babies ]
We tried to bring you some useful tips on why and how to feed watermelon to your little one. If you have some other food options that babies like, do write to us.
- 6 Simple Steps To Prepare Squash For Babies
- 7 Yummy Fruit Purees For Your Baby
- 6 Health Benefits Of Raisins For Your Baby
- 11 Simple Steps To Prepare Carrot Puree For Your Baby
- 5 Easy Steps To Prepare Banana Puree For Your Baby