Spinach is a super food. Its benefits are countless, as this green leafy vegetable is loaded with nutrients and is an amazing source of Iron, Calcium, Vitamin A and Selenium.
If you are thinking about introducing this amazing vegetable to your baby and wondering when is the good time, this is the right article for you.
When To Start Feeding Spinach To My Baby?
Spinach is a leafy vegetable that has a light taste and thus can be easily incorporated into your baby’s first solid food diet. Recommendation for feeding spinach to your baby varies slightly among pediatricians.
- Some suggest introducing spinach at the age of 6 to 7 months; others ask you to wait until 8 months or even 10.
- It is ideal to wait until 8 months and then start introducing it.
Remember the quantity should be limited as spinach is an oxalate and a nitrate food. Consuming spinach at early age (in large quantity) is not richly recommended.
[ Read: Superfoods For Babies ]
Choosing The Best Spinach For Yo
As per EWG or Environmental Working Group, spinach is one of the most contaminated foods and is loaded with pesticides. This is why we suggest you to opt for organic spinach.
- If you are preparing spinach at home, try to use fresh spinach leaves instead of frozen ones. This will allow you to select tender leaves, which are not damaged.
- If fresh is not an option available, go for frozen ones. Don’t let the leaves damp while storing and always keep the leaves in vegetable tray in your refrigerator.
Interesting Spinach Recipes For Babies:
There are plenty of ways on how to make spinach for baby food. Here are a couple of spinach baby food recipes that are delicious to satiate their taste buds.
1. Spinach Puree:
If you want to prepare spinach puree for babies, then this is a perfect recipe. Take any amount of spinach you want to prepare. Clean it thoroughly and remove damaged leaves if any.
- Steam the leaves in a pot with steamer basket. Water should peek through the holes of the basket.
- When leaves sink and appear wilted, it is done. Drain and make a puree using a blender or food processor.
- Don’t re-use the cooking water while blending; instead, add fresh water to make a smooth paste of desired consistency.
- There is no need to add any salt to this puree as spinach as salty by itself. This salt is sufficient for babies.
[ Read: Healthy Breakfast Recipes For Babies ]
2. Sautéed Spinach:
You can use any amount of spinach you like. Cleanse the leaves thoroughly and discard any damaged leaf. This is one of the easy spinach recipes for baby.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add spinach in the pan and sauté it until the leaves are tender.
- When leaves shrink and appear wilted, it is ready.
- Make it a paste using blender or food processor.
- Add fresh water if you feel the need and bring it to desirable consistency.
3. Spinach Mixed With Other Veggies:
If your baby is over a year old, you can mix spinach with other vegetables and create delicious and healthy recipes for your baby.
- Some foods that go well with spinach are peas, carrots, parsnip, potatoes, tofu, lentils, chicken, zucchini, etc.
- Puree them to make it easy on your baby’s tummy.
- You can use your own imagination and work wonders with these ingredients.
- The internet is full of such recipes, so we encourage you to go on a browsing spree!
[ Read: How To Cook Oats For Baby ]
Food is not just about health, it’s also about taste. Your baby will not eat it unless he likes it. So, make it special; bring in style to nutritious ingredients and your baby will never say no to any healthy food you want him to eat. Remember to consult a pediatrician before feeding anything to your baby.
We are sure you would love making these yummy and easy spinach recipes for babies and make eating a joyful experience. Moms, do you have any favorite spinach recipe for baby? Please share it with us in the section below!
- 10 Best Brown Rice Recipes For Your Baby
- 2 Easy And Quick Peas Recipes For Your Baby
- 6 Simple Steps To Prepare Squash For Babies
- 3 Quick & Delicious Sago Recipes For Your Baby