Does a bowl of cherries make you drool? Are you not sure whether cherries are safe for consumption during pregnancy or not? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea!
The tangy taste of cherries may tantalize your taste buds during pregnancy. But do you know unpitted cherries can prove dangerous for you as its seeds contain a toxic chemical? If you are feeling disheartened at the thought of giving your favorite fruit a miss during pregnancy, fret not! Check out this post to know how you can safely enjoy the goodness of eating cherries during pregnancy and how it can work wonders for your health!
Health Benefits Of Cherries During Pregnancy:
Cherries have a sweet and sour flavor. The bark of the cherry tree has medicinal properties. (1)
Here is a list of the common health benefits associated with cherries:
1. Cherries act as a good expectorant. Therefore, it can help treat coughs, colds, bronchitis and asthma.
2. It is an effective
3. With generous amounts of bioflavonoids and vitamin C, it is an excellent source of antioxidants. It can help fight early signs of aging.
4. The ellagic acid in cherries inhibits the growth of cancer cells.
5. An animal study reveals that the antioxidants present in cherries can help reduce cholesterol and lower the risk of heart diseases. (2)
6. Cherries have a diuretic property and can help flush out harmful salts and toxins from the body.
7. Two servings of cherries in two days can magically reduce your risk of another gout attack by 50%. Since the cherry has diuretic properties, it can prevent the accumulation of uric acid in joints and reduce gout. Its anti-inflammatory properties help fight arthritis and promote bone health. (3)
[ Read: Eating Strawberry During Pregnancy ]
Are Cherries Good For Pregnancy?
The delicious red fruit can boost your health during pregnancy in the following ways:
- Cherries are a storehouse of nutrients like vitamins, minerals, protein, iron, calcium and several other minerals. Therefore, cherries can be a healthy snack option for pregnant women.
- Do you feel you are suffering from the ‘pregnancy brain’? Worry not! Just add Balaton cherries in your pregnancy diet. Though it has a tart taste, it contains seven times more anthocyanins compared to most other varieties of cherries. (4) Anthocyanins boost memory and reduce the risk of dementia-related disease. (5)
- Cherries are a rich source of potassium and can help regulate your blood pressure and keep the threat of preeclampsia at bay. (6)
- If you dread excessive weight gain during your pregnancy munch on a bowl of cherries. Cherries are a must-have during pregnancy as the delicious fruit is rich in nutrition and low on calories. (7)
- A study of athletes reveals that the anti-inflammatory properties of cherries can relieve muscle pain and aid a speedy recovery. So add cherries to your pregnancy and postnatal diet so that you can quickly recover from childbirth and spend time bonding with your newborn.
- The discomfort due to the growing baby bump may take a toll on your sleep. If you have been spending sleepless nights of late here is a tasty remedy for you! Cherries contain the melatonin hormone, which induces sleep. Sip a cup of the delicious cherry juice to bid farewell to your insomnia. (8)
- Constipation is a common complaint among pregnant women. Instead of taking laxatives, opt for cherries. Cherries are a rich source of dietary fiber. It can help regulate your bowel movement and end your toilet ordeal. You can try this natural remedy for constipation by simply consuming a bowl of fresh unsweetened cherries in the morning every day. Adding dried cherries to your daily cereal will also help cure constipation.
- During your pregnancy, your immunity levels are at an all-time low. Therefore, you are prone to diseases and infections. Consuming cherries regularly can help boost your immunity levels as it is a rich source of Vitamin C. It can help you enjoy a healthy pregnancy.
[ Read: Nutritious Fruits To Eat During Pregnancy ]
A Word Of Caution:
- The leaves, bark and fruit pits of the cherry plant contain hydrocyanic acid, a poisonous chemical. Remember to eat pitted cherries only. (9)
- You should always consult your doctor before adding anything to your pregnancy diet. If you suffer from gestational diabetes, talk to your doctor before bingeing on cherries.
Side Effects Of Cherries During Pregnancy:
There have been reports of pregnant women suffering from bloating, gas, and abdominal pain after eating cherries.During pregnancy, you may develop an aversion toward a particular food. However, if you feel any major discomfort after consuming cherries please seek the advice of your doctor immediately.
Cherry Recipe For Pregnant Women:
Here is a delicious cherry smoothie you can prepare at home and enjoy.
You Will Need:
- 12 to 14 ripe cherries
- ½ cup of blueberries
- ½ cup of Greek yogurt (preferably low fat)
1. Add the cherries and blueberries into a blender and churn to form a smooth paste.
2. Now add the yogurt and blend once again.
Now you know how you can safely enjoy eating cherries! Why wait? Go ahead and grab a bowl of cherries right away!
Did you enjoy eating cherries while pregnant? Did you suffer from any side effects? Please share your experience with other moms here.
- 5 Health Benefits Of Apricots During Pregnancy
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of Eating Peaches During Pregnancy
- 9 Health Benefits Of Eating Plums During Pregnancy
- 10 Health Benefits Of Eating Green Apples During Pregnancy