It’s heartbreaking for the parent to see any kind of pain or discomfort in your child. It is especially hard when your child has fever. Babies catch viral fever very easily; as the temperature of the child increases, there is a fear created in the parents mind and this is medically termed as “fever phobia”.
Do you have such kind of “fever phobia” in you for your child? Do not fret. Keep yourself update about all the information related to viral fever and relax much easier.
Viral Fever In Babies – Basics:
High temperature or fever in babies in common, they are mostly caused due to some kinds of viral infections, cold or cough. They generally clear up even without giving any kind of treatment.
Viral fever in babies below the age of 2 months needs special attention. If your child is between the ages of 2 months to 6 months then you should definitely consult the doctor.
Signs And Symptoms Of Viral Fever In Infants:
Usually the first sign of viral fever in baby is the temp
- Sore throat
- Look pale
- Feel shivery
- Blocked nose
- Pain in the tummy
- No appetite
[ Read: Dehydration In Infants ]
Protection Measures Against Viral Fever:
Prevention, as they say, is infinitely a better option than cure. Here are few points which are to be followed by the parents to keep the child protected from viral infection and viral fever.
- Stay Away:Always make sure that you are keeping your child away from those who are sick; especially from individuals infected with cold and cough. Children are more likely to catch infections than adults.
- Practice Good Hygiene: Keep your child’s hands and your hands clean always to keep away the virus. Wash them with mild soap.
- Talk To Your Doctor: If your baby is between the ages of 3 months to 2 years, talk to your pediatrician about the annual vaccination given to babies against flu. Doing this will protect the baby from some kind of viral fevers and also other complications.
- Seasonal Caution:Viral fever or infections happen mostly at the time of season changes; be vigilant around this time.
[ Read: How To Cure Flu In Babies ]
Points To Remember:
Apart from the medicines given by the doctor few things followed at home by the parent can help the child get well soon.
- Liquid Diet: Your child may start losing more water from the body due to vomiting and diarrhea so it is important to keep your child hydrated as much as possible. If you are breast feeding the baby then let them continue as many times as he/she wants.
- Enough Rest: A child should rest for at least one week after the viral fever.
- Sponge Bath: If your child is having very high temperature then you can sponge her with warm water to lower the temperature.
- Fresh Air: Keep the windows and doors of your child’s room open and let the fresh air in. This will clear the germs present in the air in your baby’s room.
[ Read: Hay Fever In Babies ]
Signs To Watch Out For:
Infant viral fever will be cleared with normal treatment. But if your baby has the below symptoms even after taking medicine, then immediately see a doctor.
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling of feet
- Vomiting for more than 4 times in a day
- Cough for 3 weeks or more
- Diarrhea for 2 weeks or more
Viral fever in infants is common and is not serious. But make sure you are giving them right treatment and on right time, and your child will be back on her toes soon.
Do you have more information to share about viral fever or on how to protect your baby from viral fever? Do share with us.
Reference : 1
- Typhoid In Babies – 3 Causes, 8 Symptoms & 5 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 5 Symptoms & 3 Treatments Of Sinus Infection In Babies
- Croup Disease In Babies – 5 Causes, 12 Symptoms & 6 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Nasal Congestion In Infants – 4 Causes, 5 Symptoms & 4 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of