As a parent, you certainly would not like to see your active baby down with cold. But it often happens that your baby gets sick with common cold. Apart from this he or she may show symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, sneezing, congestion, runny nose and coughing. You may also find his or her body temperature ranging from 100 to 102 degrees Fahrenheit.
Home remedies can be comfortable alternative solutions to store-bought drugs. The good news is you can try home remedies the moment you find your baby catching a cold, so that you can curb the infection from spreading further. Basic functioning of your baby may improve with tried and tested home remedies.
Click Here To View An Enlarged Version Of This Infographic
Home Remedies For Cold In Babies:
There are plenty of effective and safe home remedies that you can try to treat cold in your baby. You need not worry as the remedies are generally gentle on her immune system and won’t cause any discomforts or side effe
- Vapor rubs or petroleum jelly when rubbed on her back and chest can help her enjoy some relief.
- Use nasal drops frequently at regular intervals by laying your baby on her back.
- You can use nasal saline rinse along with the vapor rub to help her sleep well.
- Honey has antiseptic properties that ease irritation and cold. You can add some warm water to it and let her drink.
- Symptoms of cold get aggravated by dry air. To maintain moisture content, you can try steaming. A steamer can be useful for this purpose.
- Ginger has plenty of health benefits. It can be used for treating congestion and cold in babies as well. With increased blood circulation, your baby’s body warms up fast that melts the phlegm and expels it out.
- Anti bacterial properties of garlic helps destroying the bacteria causing cold. You can add garlic juice in warm water and offer your baby.
- Probiotic effect of lady’s finger (okra) helps removal of bacteria causing cold. It is also effective in removing inflammation and irritation. You can boil okra for 10 minutes and allow your baby to drink the water.
- Add a pinch of turmeric in the fruit juice or warm milk and offer your baby twice. This is a good way to strengthen her immune system and fight against infections.
- Lemon has antiseptic properties and helps in improving her immune system. For older babies, you can add a teaspoon of honey and little bit of water. It is an effective way to treat cold in babies.
- Relieve the symptoms of cold by offering the universal remedy for colds – homemade chicken soup. This simple recipe has proven to help reduce inflammation and fever.
- You can use appropriate essential oils to help her deal with cold better. However, you must seek advice from the healthcare experts before using them.
- Eucalyptus oil is ideal for children above 6 months. Using a few drops to inhale helps your baby to find relief from nose blocks. Try putting few drops of oil into a handkerchief and make your baby inhale the same.
[ Read: Mouth Ulcers In Babies ]