Is your kid glued to his tablet? Are you proud of the fact that your little toddler is smart enough to handle the latest gadgets and gizmos? Well, if you can relate to the above situations giving this post a read is a good idea.
You may be encouraging your child to use the laptop or smartphone as new age educational tools. But, do you know that too much screen time through the day can end up harming your kid? Find out in this article what is the recommended screen time for children and how screen time can adversely affect your child’s health and learning. Want to know more? Read on!
New Definition Of Screen Time:
With the change in technology, your kid is probably already a gadget freak. While earlier screen time only meant TV time, the definition has now undergone a sea change. Screen time can include any time your kid spends looking at the TV, the computer, the laptop, the tablet or your smartphone screen.
[ Read: Impact Of Tv On Children ]
How Much Screen Time For Kid
There are no set rules for how to limit screen time for kids. However, most child care providers and pediatricians recommend the following parameters :
- Kids who are younger than two years of age – should not have any screen time.
- Kids who are older than two years of age – should have a maximum of one to two hours of screen time in a day.
How Can Excessive Screen Time Harm Kids?
Unlimited screen time can harm your kid in many ways :
- Too much screen time can adversely affect your child’s vision.
- Sitting in front of the screen will make your kid a couch potato. Participating in lesser physical activities can increase your kid’s chances of obesity. According to a study in the New England Journal of Medicine, one out of four preschoolers, is suffering from obesity .
[ Read: Learning Activities For Kids ]
- It can also result in attention deficiency disorders in your kid. He can find it hard to look at a page and relate to words instead of moving objects.
- Too much screen time can disrupt your kid’s sleep.
- Watching too much TV will expose your kids to various commercials that feature junk food and other unhealthy lifestyle choices. Your kid may start demanding the same, regardless of what you may be teaching him at home.
- Your kid may also forget to chew while watching a screen. It can lead to choking hazards.
- Due to the early exposure to screen, your kid may start having wants that are not feasible for you to fulfill. It can lead to an emotional disconnect and even depression.
- Even though you may regulate the content your kid is watching, he may view something that are not appropriate for his age. There are various spam and adult sites that can suddenly pop up even if you have installed filters on your device. It can be a major cause of concern, especially if you are not sitting and watching the screen with your kid.
[ Read: Importance Of Exercise For Kids ]
- You may feel that videos are a good way to teach young babies and toddlers about rhymes, alphabets, numbers, colors, etc. However, this is not true. There are no medical or scientific proofs to back this theory. Singing, reading, writing and coloring with your baby is more fun. It can help you bond with your kid better instead of depending on a machine.
There are various ways that can help you reduce your kid’s screen time. Try to lead by example. Stop using screens in front of your kids. What they see is what they will learn and follow. Instead of being hooked onto a screen all the time, get involved with them. Indulge in activities that make you go out in the open with your kid. Play a board game or practice a game of basketball.
Hope by now you know the recommended screen time for kids. Did your kid also spend a lot of time on a screen? What did you do to change the habit? Do share your experience here and help other moms.
- 25 Ways To Ensure Good Habits For Kids
- 7 Simple Tips To Correct Bad Habits Of Children
- 5 Different Child Behavior Charts & Their Benefits