Do you remember the time you got stung by a bee and ended up getting rashes all over your body? The stings of certain insects do trigger allergic reactions in some people.
While getting stung by an insect may be scary, developing an allergic reaction to it could prove to be even more serious, especially in kids.
As the term suggests, an insect bite allergy is basically an allergic reaction to the sting of a particular insect. Bees, yellow jackets, hornets, wasps and fire ants are most commonly known to trigger allergic reactions. It is a good idea to be well versed with the basics of identifying and dealing with an insect bite allergy in kids.
All About Insect Bite Allergies in Kids:
An allergic reaction occurs when the immune system of the body detects the presence of a potentially harmful foreign substance, and goes into an overdrive to tackle it. This may lead to different signs and symptoms.
- The severity of an allergy due to insect bite varies from person to person
- A localized reaction, wherein the area stung by the insect will swell up, and appear red. Pain in also observed in this kind of reaction.
- A large local reaction is observed when the swelling and redness extends beyond the entire area of the sting. For instance, a bee sting at the ankle may cause a reaction that may spread over the entire foot.
- A widespread allergic reaction may spread over the entire body, and may require immediate medical attention.
[ Read: Eczema In Children ]
Signs & Symptoms Of Insect Bite Allergy:
Though the signs and symptoms associated with insect allergies differ from person to person and depend upon many factors, some common ones are listed below.
- Breathing problems
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Localized swelling and redness
- Swelling and redness that spreads over a huge area
- Swelling and redness that spreads over the entire body
- Hives that appear as an itchy, red rash
- Swelling of the face and throat
- Rapid pulse
- Restlessness and anxiety
- Sharp drop in blood pressure
- Warmth at the sting site
If your child has been bitten by an insect, the reaction his body may develop to it will depend on the sensitivity of his body to the particular venom of the insect. Nevertheless, it is important to seek immediate medical attention after the onset of the symptoms.
[ Read: Headache In Children ]
In case of mild, localized insect stings, the symptoms usually disappear within a day or two. However, if you do notice severe reactions in your kid after an insect bite, you may need to rush to the doctor immediately. Some common insect bite allergy treatment options are listed below.
- The doctor may prescribe certain oral antihistamines to reduce swelling and inflammation of tissues.
- He will also remove the stinger (if any) to prevent the release venom into the skin.
- In case of any infections due to scratching at the site of the bite, he may prescribe oral or topical antibiotics.
[ Read: Smallpox In Children ]
At Home Care:
If your kid has been stung by an insect, you can try these simple tips to relieve the symptoms and prevent worsening of the reaction.
- Wash the area immediately with soap and water.
- Apply calamine lotion to soothe the area.
- Apply ice packs to prevent inflammation and reduce pain.
[ Read: Soy Allergy In Children ]
Kids are more prone to developing extreme reactions to a particular substance as their immune systems are not fully developed. Make sure you visit a doctor in case if you notice any such insect bite allergy symptoms.
Do let us know if your kid did suffer from any such allergic reaction, and if so, what you did to manage the situation!
- Is It Safe To Use Deet (Repellent & Spray) For Children?
- 4 Causes & 4 Treatments For Psoriasis In Children
- 7 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Allergies In Children
- 7 Effective Treatments To Cure ‘Bee Sting’ In Children