Are you worried about your child’s constant ‘biting-the-lips’ habit? Does your child often complain about being called ‘bunny teeth’ in school?
If yes, then perhaps it is time to give your child’s pearly whites a closer look.
Growing up as a child and hitting adolescence is a trying time. It is also one of those phases when your child may worry most about appearances, and teeth have a big role to play in the overall look.
Teeth Braces – In Brief:
With the advent of new age cosmetic and medical technologies, dentistry has provided, as of today, innumerable solutions for your teeth and jaw to provide an eternal smile and beauty to your cheek bones.
Dental braces fix teeth by specific forceful movement of teeth with the pressure of attached braces. The method induces bio-mechanical processes to loosen the target area of teeth and promote the growth of newer bones and their strengthening, in case of loose gaps in-between the teeth.
Once your child reaches the
10 Different Types Of Teeth Braces:
Brackets, arches and wires amalgamate the world of dental braces. So, it is important to know what they really are, before signing up for a treatment procedure.
While there are many types of braces available today and new ones keep adding on to the list, here is a list of the most common types of braces for teeth that are out there:
1. Traditional Braces:
Traditional braces are universally common type of braces made mainly with stainless steel and occasionally with titanium.
- A lot of people do not embrace this procedure as they do not want to give up on their favourite chewing gum and potato chips addiction.
- The process of putting traditional braces involves gluing a metal bracket to each tooth.
- The metal brackets are held with the elastic rubbery ties that hold the arch wire on to the metallic bracket.
- The molars are specifically adjusted in this case with an elastic band that circumvents the teeth.
2. Self Ligating Braces:
Your child may not want to wear braces for an entire lifetime as part of treatment, but there is still another way of availing the best of dentistry.
- Self-Ligating Braces are tailor made to provide the least time of treatment and doctoral visits.
- They are immensely better in comparison to the previous type.
- They require little or null periodic adjustments, lesser treatment time and reduced pain and discomfort in the jaw.
- This type of braces is expensive.
- These braces are mostly traditional sort of braces that don’t need the elastic ties. In turn, a wire is interjected to pass through the brackets.
3. Clear Braces:
These braces provide a clear look to the teeth and are available in the market in endless shades.
- They have a very important cosmetic value as they can be perfectly inconspicuous in comparison to the traditional ones.
- These are also self-ligating but propose extensive friction.
- The material used in these braces is stronger than other braces.
- Only backlog is that, these can make teeth turn brittle, which leads to insurmountable complications when going for a removal upon completion of the treatment.
[ Read: Brushing Teeth For Kids ]
4. Gold Plated Stainless Steel Braces:
These braces are coloured a yellow gold-ish tint unlike the traditional metallic or silver look.
- The vital constituent of stainless steel.
- These are mainly prescribed for patients who are allergic to nickel.
- Most people prefer it for subjective reasons and biases towards the golden, rich look it gives!
5. Lingual Braces:
These braces are distinctly different from other categories of braces as they are fitted strictly on the back of the teeth.
- They are very rare owing to the irritation that they cause to the tongue, the limiting orthodontists available and the fact that the procedure itself is exhaustively long.
- These braces provide the incredible invisibility option to its patients.
- They use metal brackets.
- These are quite expensive if not just rarely available.
6. Invisalign Braces:
Invisalign braces can be removed and fitted in with incredible ease as they are the plastic impressions of your teeth.
- They are provided for patients usually with crooked teeth.
- They take a lot of time to arrive as they are custom made and are highly priced.
- These braces boast of the high tech mechanisms that provides computer stimulation of your
7. Titanium Braces:
These braces are very much akin to the steel braces.
- These are stronger and lighter owing to the component.
- People mostly with allergies to nickel opt for these braces.
- They are also highly expensive.
8. Spring Aligners:
Spring aligners are strictly “springy” in feel, and hence are very convenient.
- These are used to align the top and bottom 6 teeth only.
- They are comparatively expensive, but provide better comfort.
These braces are a very new concept that equips the patients to adjust, align and remove the braces all by themselves.
- The braces are shaped like an, ‘A’ and hence the title.
- The pain is heavily reduced, as the pressure is low.
- These braces also have palate adjustable retainers.
- The only disadvantage is that they have to be removed while sleeping.
10. Damon Braces:
The only braces option that eliminates the requirement of all brands and uses slides as a wiring substitute is Damon Braces.
- These are one of many passive, self-ligating methods of correcting teeth dysfunctions. .
- Passive self-ligating methods use brackets, which do not require elastic o-rings. Instead the wires freely slide through the slots without friction.
- This is incorrect as it simply allows more tipping of teeth and potential loss of precision of movement.
- No o-rings means better oral hygiene, but there is steady debate on this matter. It depends on the user of the braces how he or she experiencing problems.
These days, scientists can install a microchip with the teeth brackets. This involves measuring the pressure and force around it to reduce the discomfort, treatment time and expense. This is currently under investigation.
Create the perfect smile for your kid by looking up your dentist’s braces options. A beautiful smile is all it takes to conquer the world.
Don’t forget to share your experiences with us.
- 4 Simple Tips To Teach Your Kids To Brush The Right Way
- 14 Remedies To Cure Bad Breath In Children