Are your worried about your kid’s sedentary lifestyle? Is your child losing interest in studies? Are you looking for ways to make your kid physically active? What you need is to include aerobic activities in your child’s daily schedule!
Kids today spend more time in front of the TV and laptop than playing outside. Add bad eating habits to the mix, and you have an obesity epidemic taking the world by storm!
That is why it is important that your kid learns to exercise regularly.
It is a great idea to encourage your child to try aerobic exercises to stay fit and healthy. If you are wondering why performing aerobic activities is a good idea, check out all that your kid stands to benefit!
Benefits Of Aerobics For Kids:
Aerobic exercises can work wonders for your child’s health in the following ways:
1. Boosts Heart And Lung Health:
Aerobic activities are a great way to boost your kid’s heart and lung health. Aerobic exercises make your heart and lungs pump faster, giving the
2. Helps Maintain A Healthy Body Weight:
Aerobic for kids is a great way to burn extra fat and keep your kid’s weight under control (2).
3. Strengthens Bones And Muscles:
When kids are growing, their bones and muscles need something extra to remain strong. Aerobic activities are a great way to strengthen your body, as well as your bones and muscles (3).
[ Read: Strength Exercises For Kids ]
4. Fights Anxiety And Depression:
Increasingly, anxiety and depression are becoming common among kids today. If you want your kid to stay healthy mentally too, encourage her to enroll in an aerobic class (4).
5. Prevents Chronic Diseases:
A regular schedule involving aerobic activities can go a long way in keeping your child safe from the threat of chronic illnesses like dementia and Parkinson’s disease (5).
6. Improves Social Skills:
Children today lack basic social skills because they spend most of their time watching TV or surfing the Internet. Aerobic activities are a great way to make your child step out and interact with her peers on the playground or coaching class (6).
7. Helps Manage ADHD Better:
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder has become all pervasive today. Aerobic exercise for kids are a great way to manage ADHD in kids (7).
8. Improves Academic Performance:
Children who regularly exercise are more likely to do better in school than those who are bookworms! (8)
[ Read: Benefits Of Exercise For Children ]
How Much Physical Activity Does A Child Need?
So, you know how good aerobic activity is for your kid. But how much exercise does she need? Aerobics for kids is a good way to keep your child healthy and active.According to the US Department of Health and Human Services, children need about 60 minutes of physical activity each day (9). It advises that aerobic activity be a primary part of children’s exercise regimen. It recommends that children should do vigorous aerobic exercise three times a week.
The Best Aerobic Activities For Children:
The main criterion for deciding on the best aerobic activities for a kid is her age. It is important to make sure that your kid is enjoying age appropriate activities. Here is a simple guide to help you plan an exercise schedule for your child:
1. For Children Between Six And Nine Years:
The age between six and nine is exciting! Children are stepping out of their cocoons and becoming independent. It is also the time to initiate your child into exercising. If your kid is in this age group, here are a few ideas for you.
- Any game that includes running and chasing
- Jumping rope
- Physical sports
[ Read: Relaxation Exercises And Techniques For Children ]
2. For Tweens Between Ages 10 And 12 Years:
Is your kid a tween? The tweenage today has become a struggle for both parents and children. Here are some aerobic activity ideas for your tween:
- Games that include running and chasing
- House chores
- Jumping rope
3. For Teenagers:
Teenagers! What can you say about them? The best word to describe a teenager is ‘confused’! A teen is not a child. But she is not yet an adult either. Here are some good ideas to get your teen in action:
- Aerobic exercise classes
- House chores
- Jumping rope
- Martial arts
Things To Remember:
Yes, it is important for children to exercise, and aerobic activities are a great way to get fit. But do keep the following points in mind. (10)
- Start Slow: Encourage your child to work out regularly and not push herself too much.
- Follow A Schedule: Create an activity schedule so that your kid can enjoy performing the aerobic activities and keep boredom at bay.
- Ensure Safety: Ensure that your kid is safe while enjoying the activities mentioned above. Buy protective gears like helmets and kneepads for your kid.
- Keep It Fun: Don’t make exercising a chore. Keep it fun and let your child enjoy.
- Don’t Push: Everybody is different. An activity that is a piece of cake for your friend’s child can be a challenge for your little one. Don’t make unfair comparisons. If she does not enjoy a particular activity, drop it.
- Consult Your Doctor: If your child has an underlying health issue, talk to your doctor.
- Be A Role Model: You need to be a role model when it comes to staying active. If you spend most of your free time in front of the idiot box, your kid will do the same. So, go out and enjoy some family time, in the playground!
Physical activities like aerobics are a great way to build physical health. But there is so much more that these activities can teach your child. Aerobic activities help your child learn to interact better and communicate confidently. A good fitness schedule involving aerobic activities will also help your child do better at school! What more do you want?
What kind of aerobic activities does your child enjoy? How do you encourage your kid to be more active physically? Share your views and tips with us!
- 10 Super Fun Winter Activities For Kids
- 10 Fun Outdoor Activities For Kids
- 10 Fun & Easy Activities To Do With Your Kids This Summer