Does your child have sleepless nights during the exam season? Do you want your child to become a smart learner? Well, if you are a worried mom who wants to ensure both the mental and physical well-being of your child reading this post may be of help.
You may have heard about the many benefits of relaxation techniques already. You may also have tried it to let off some steam and relax. But wait, meditation for kids? Yes! You read it right! Meditation can have a huge positive impact on young children. Want to know more about relaxation techniques for kids? Go ahead with your read!
Can Meditation Help Kids?
Meditation can help increase the attention span in children. What’s more, some sources also claim that meditation can help reduce stress, improve memory, contain aggressiveness, control anxiety, improve the relationships at home and school and even bring inner peace to children.
How To Initiate Children Into Meditation?
It is a great idea to introduce your child to me
1. Steps In The Sky: (1)
This is one of the coolest kids relaxation techniques. Night is the best time to perform this exercise.
- Ask your child to close his eyes and stay still. Allow him to imagine lying down outside in an open area looking up at the drifting clouds.
- Now ask him to imagine the clouds in different shapes. It may be the shapes of his favorite things!
- Then, ask him to imagine a ladder made of clouds, which starts at where he’s lying, and ends up in the sky. Ask him to climb the ladder and relax with every step.
- He may also build a secret hide-out in the clouds!
[ Read: Educational Activities For Kids ]
2. Focused Breathing:
Focused breathing is an easy relaxation exercise you can encourage your child to practice it when he’s feeling anxious.
- Ask your child to sit comfortably and put one hand on his chest and another hand on his stomach.
- Ask him to close his eyes, relax all his muscles and breathe deeply for several minutes.
- Tell your child to feel his stomach rise and fall while he breathes. Ask him to imagine that his stress and worries are leaving him every time he exhales.
[ Read: Stress Management Techniques For Children ]
3. Pre-Exam Exercise:
What can be better than asking your child to follow a simple relaxation technique right before his stressful exams?
- Ask your child to sit and relax in the examination hall.
- Encourage him to take slow deep breaths and focus completely on his breathing.
- Ask him to relax the muscles in his neck, back, shoulder, and jaws.
- Then ask him to visualize himself as a confident and motivated student writing the exam calmly.
[ Read: Benefits Of Exercise For Children ]
4. Happy Thought Bubbles:
This is one of the most fun relaxation exercises for children. Your child will have loads of fun.
- Prior to the exercise, explain the connection between deep breathing and relaxation to your child. Tell him that every deep breath is like a silent message to the body that conveys that it is time to relax.
- Now get a bubble blower and ask your child to take a deep breath and blow out bubbles. Then ask him to place a happy thought in each bubble. It could be an idea your child looks forward to or likes.
- Your child can perform this relaxation workout in a group to add some fun and cheer!
5. Progressive Muscle Relaxation:
Progressive muscle relaxation is one of the best ways to relieve stress for both adults and children as well.
- Ask your child to sit or lie down in a comfortable position. He may even close his eyes.
- Starting with the face, ask him to tense and relax the muscles in different parts of his body alternately.
- Encourage your child to notice how rejuvenated his mind and body feels after following this simple technique.
Now you know a few simple tricks to help your child de-stress. So, why wait? Go ahead and help your child become a positive individual.
Try these relaxation techniques for children and tell us, which particular exercise worked wonders for your child.
- 10 Key Pointers To Help Your Child Develop Positive Thinking & Attitude
- 3 Best Ways To Help Children Develop Self Control
- 7 Factors That Influence Children’s Social And Emotional Development
- 5 Stages Of Moral Development In Children
- How Does Your Child’s Brain Develop And What Can You Do To Nurture It?