Is your delivery around the corner? Are you making your final shopping list before your precious bundle of joy arrives? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea.
An important item that you will need to bring your baby home safely is a convertible car seat. Are you clueless about how to choose a convertible car seat for safety and comfort during his first drive? Fret not! There are various infant and baby seats available in the market these days and selecting one can be confusing. However, find out in this article five handy tips to help you make the right choice while choosing a convertible car seat. Want to know more? Read on!
What Is A Convertible Car Seat?
A convertible car seat is one that your child can use as an infant until he turns a toddler. An infant car seat is one that faces the rear while a baby or toddler car seat faces the front of the car. You can use a convertible car seat in both the positions.
What Are The Weight Limits For Convertible Car Seats?
Most convertible car seats have similar weight limits. You can use one in a rear facing position till the time your baby weighs 30 pounds. You can use a convertible car seat in a forward facing position till the time he weighs 40 pounds. Some latest models of convertible car seats even allow as much weight as 80 pounds in a forward facing position.
[ Read: Travelling With Baby ]
How To Choose A Convertible Car Seat?
There are certain safety and comfort factors that you should keep in mind before you purchase a convertible car seat. Here are a few important parameters on how to know which convertible car seat to buy:
1. LATCH (Lower Anchors And Tether for Children):
Almost all new models of convertible car seats are available with the LATCH system.
- The LATCH system helps you attach the convertible car seat directly to your car seat instead of using the seat belt. It makes it easier to use and safer for your baby than the older versions.
- The convertible car seats have bottom straps as well as a top tether. However, while you are using the seat in a rear facing position, the manufacturer may ask you to avoid using the top tether. Make sure you follow all safety and installation instructions.
2. Five-Point Safety Harness:
A five-point safety harness will have the following:
- A strap for each shoulder.
- A strap for each thigh.
- A strap that goes between your baby’s legs.
These straps are adjustable and hence safe and comfortable for your baby.
3. Side Impact Protection:
A side impact protection feature helps keep your baby safe in the event of a collision.
- Some convertible car seats come with a special type of foam that helps absorb the intensity of an impact.
- The seats have a safe design to protect your baby especially around the head and chest.
4. Easy To Clean:
You need to be careful about hygiene if you have a baby around.
- Check for a convertible car seat that has a separate cover.
- Choose one, which has an easy to clean cover that you can either toss in the washing machine or wipe with a damp cloth.
5. Easy To Adjust:
A convertible car seat lasts long. It means you will need to adjust it as per the demands of your growing baby.
- Check for a seat that has straps and a harness you can easily adjust.
- You can operate some models singlehandedly for quick use too.
Make sure you test the convertible seat in your car for compatibility before buying a convertible car seat.
Did you use a convertible car seat for your baby? What were the features you looked for while buying? Do share it in the comments section here to help other moms.
- 9 Simple Steps To Make Train Travel Safe For You And Your Baby
- 4 Useful Tips To Choose The Right Stroller For Your Baby
- How To Swaddle A Baby – Step By Step Guide