As a mother, you would definitely enjoy your time outdoors with your baby. Activities like playing at the beach, walking with your baby in a park, spending some time amidst nature in a garden are going to be moments that you would cherish for a long time.
Though spending time in the fresh air is enjoyable, you should also take care to protect your baby from the scorching rays of the sun.
Vitamin D from sun rays is beneficial for your baby, but excess exposure to sun can adversely affect your baby’s delicate skin. How to protect baby from sun? Don’t worry here is an article for you with the answers.
4 Best Tips On How To Protect Baby From Sun:
You must take good care from the beginning and make all efforts to ensure that a problem like sunburn does not affect your baby. Here are a few tips on sun protection for babies:
1. Choose The Time Of Stepping Out Of Your Home Wisely:
The ideal time to venture out of your house during the day would be in the early mornings or la
- The sun is the brightest and is in its full glory from morning 10 to afternoon 3.
- So make that much-awaited trip to the park in the early mornings or late afternoon and have fun with your baby.
[ Read: Dehydration In Infants ]
2. Protect Your Baby From The UV Rays:
Ensure that your baby is seated under a shade or create a shade for your baby with the help of an umbrella or a large towel.
- Cover the pram with the shade or a large cloth by keeping room for adequate ventilation.
- Most of the modern day prams come with canopy tops that provide protection from the sun.
- You can also try out the elasticized UV sun cover that provides shade and sun protection for baby.
[ Read: Heat Rashes In Babies ]
3. Right Clothing:
Ensure that you cover your baby with the right clothing.
- Opt for cotton clothes rather than acrylic fabrics.
- You can dress your baby in loose dresses, which cover him or her entirety. This way your baby will be safe from sun rays. Full sleeve shirts or tops are recommended.
- There are many cute looking hats available in baby stores that can protect your baby from the sun. Choose a soft hat that will keep your baby comfortable while he or she is wearing it.
[ Read: How To Treat Burns In Infants ]
Sunscreen, along with the appropriate shade and right clothing, is the apt way to protect your baby from the sun. For the exposed areas of the body of your baby, apply sunscreen with SPF 30+.
- This will protect the delicate skin of your baby from sunburn.
- You should apply the sunscreen lotion 20 minutes before you and your baby step out.
- In case you are out with your baby for long durations, ensure that you re-apply the sunscreen every two hours.
- Apply sunscreen to the hands, feet, back of the ears and neck to protect these exposed areas from sunburn, as they are normally not covered by clothing.
[ Read: Heat Stroke In Babies ]
- While travelling in a car, ensure that the windows of the car have a sunshade or sun film, so that your baby stays protected while seated in the baby car seat.
- Do ensure that your baby is adequately hydrated at all times, especially while going out in the sun.
These are some of the easiest and most important ways of protecting baby from sun and its negative effects. Apply the above mentioned tips while you are out with your baby to have some fun in the sun.
Mommies share your tips and suggestions that have worked for you to protect your baby from the sun in the comment box below.
Reference : 1
- 7 Most Helpful Tips To Keep Your Baby’s Skin Healthy
- 5 Common Baby Skin Allergies And Its Causes
- 8 Simple Home-Care Tips To Treat Neck Rashes In Your Baby
- 8 Preventive Measures To Avoid Hay Fever In Babies