Do you dread insect bites every time your child steps out to play? Are you thinking about keeping your child indoors just to protect him from mosquito bites?
Mosquito bites can cause many diseases like Malaria, Dengue, Chikungunya, to name a few. These can cause great discomfort to your child in the form of rashes, itching and swelling. Read on to find a few handy tips to prevent and treat insect bites in babies.
Tips To Protect Your Little One From Mosquito Bites:
Here are a few steps you can take to tackle mosquito menace:
1. Mosquitoes are buzzing with activity during dusk. Therefore, it is advisable to keep your little one indoors during the evening.
2. Ask your child to avoid going to gardens that have stagnant water and excess greenery.
3. Ask your child to stay away from areas that have open garbage dumps.
4. Use mosquito nets for windows and doors to avoid the entry of insects.
5. You can use insect repellents to eradicate mosquitoes, temporarily. However, reme
6. Dress up your little one in shirts that have long sleeves, socks, and trousers. Avoiding exposure will reduce the chances of mosquito bites.
[ Read: Mosquito Bites In Babies ]
Home Remedies To Cure Insect Bites In Babies:
How to treat insect bites on babies? Most insect bites are not harmful and cure naturally. Here are a few handy home remedies for treating an insect bite:
1. Cold Compress:
If your child suffers from an insect bite, the first thing you should do is to apply ice on it until the itching subsides, and there are no further rashes. It will also ensure that no swelling develops.
[ Read: How To Treat Ringworm In Babies ]
2. Use Roll On Deodorant While Traveling:
If your child suffers from an insect bite while traveling you can use a roll on deodorant that has aluminum chloride to treat it. It will ease the itching and prevent swelling.
3. Creams For Itching:
An insect bite usually causes itching. If your child has an insect bite, the resultant itching sensation can cause him great discomfort. It is a cause of worry if your little one scratches the rash with his uncut nails as that can lead to bacterial infection. Application of insect bite cream for baby to soothe itching is necessary, to avoid further infection, cuts, and bleeding. Here are a few insect bites cream for babies that are safe:
- You can apply calamine lotion on your child’s skin as it is soothing and can tackle the itching sensation.
- Use Hydrocortisone cream to make the delicate skin of your little one itch free.
- Another simple home remedy is to mix baking soda and water. Apply the paste directly on the insect bite and let it heal the itch.
- You can consult your doctor about the use of Benadryl, Tylenol or ibuprofen to ease the itching.
[ Read: Chicken Pox In Babies ]
4. Consult A Doctor:
Usually, it takes two days for a mosquito bite to subside. In the case of a severe insect bite, you must seek immediate medical attention:
- When the insect bite turns red and does not reduce even after initial care but spreads to other areas, then you need to seek medical help. In some cases, it might a fungal or bacterial infection. Your doctor will suggest an ointment to treat it.
- It could also be an allergic reaction called anaphylaxis, which may cause difficulty in breathing or swallowing. Such problems need immediate medical attention.
[ Read: Rubella In Babies ]
Remember maintaining hygiene in and around the house can largely help tackle insect and mosquito menace. Do not allow water to collect and stagnate, as it is a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
If you have any home remedies for insect bites that are safe for children, please share it with us.
- 5 Effective Treatments To Cure Bug Bites In Babies
- Is It Safe To Use Mosquito Repellents For Babies?
- Allergies In Babies: Causes, Symptoms And Treatments