As a baby grows from infancy, it is the paramount duty of the parents to ensure that their home is baby-proof. This measure is vital to avoid any accidents or mishaps that could occur right from the time when your baby starts turning on her side.
5 Effective Tips For Making Home Safe For Baby:
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to actually ensure home safety for babies from a number of eventualities that could be the cause of much worry in the future:
1. Before Bringing Your Baby Home:
Since babies are naturally curious, there are certain precautions that you will need to take in order to safeguard her against potential dangers.
- Check your baby’s crib for any potential issues that could be a cause of worry.
- Remove excess stuff toys from the crib as it could cause suffocation.
- Ensure that the staircase comes with handrails.
It is better to do these changes before the baby comes. If you make these changes after the baby arrives, you will be risking noise and dust pol
[ Read: How To Care Baby in Winter ]
2. How To Prevent Falls?
Falls account for around 44% of accidents which affect little children, making it the most common cause for worry. Here are some of the ways to ensure that your baby is safe once she starts to walk:
- Do not leave objects lying on the floor, as it could trip your baby.
- Make sure that your staircase is well lit and maintained to avoid accidents.
- Ensure that the balustrades are strong and do not have a foothold for climbing.
- Non-slip pads can be added to carpets that do not have them already attached.
- Add cushion protectors to cover sharp edges around coffee tables and desks; they could cause injury.
3. How To Ensure Patios And Windows Are Safe?
Windows and patios could also prove to be quite dangerous for little ones especially if they have sharp edges which could cause accidents. Here are some of the ways to prevent mishaps:
- Remove furniture and cots away from the window to prevent accidents from occurring.
- Paste colorful stickers on transparent glass to make your baby aware that there is in fact something there when they decide to walk or crawl around the house.
- Fit your windows with locks at the top to prevent your baby from lifting it; once lifted, it could drop down and jam your baby’s little fingers.
- Ensure that your home has low windows fixed so that they do not open beyond 12.5 centimeters.
- Keep furniture which your baby can climb away from windows to prevent accidents from taking place.
[ Read: How To Protect Baby From Sun ]
4. How To Safeguard Your Baby’s Fingers From Hazards?
Little fingers have a way of finding things that do not deserve to be found. Therefore, you need to be extra cautious when it comes to your little baby. Here’s how:
- When you discard hazardous items in the dustbin including pins, batteries or even paper pins, make sure that the bin is out of the reach of your baby.
- Lamps and electric cords are especially dangerous; they should be concealed behind furniture or in wooden casing. Make sure that lamps are fastened securely to walls to prevent them from toppling over when pulled.
- Poisonous substances should be stored a mile away from your baby, preferably in cabinets attached to walls, where your baby cannot reach.
[ Read: Toy Safety For Babies ]
5. Bath Time Safety:
Most babies enjoy taking a bath and love the thought of playing in water. However, you need to ensure that the conditions are perfect. Here are some of the ways you can ensure that:
- Never leave your baby alone when she is in the bathtub. If you need to answer the phone in another room, take your child along with you. We recommend having your cell phone or cordless phone with you in the bathroom.
- Test the water before putting your child in because their skin is sensitive and can easily burn if the bath water is too hot. Use your elbow to test the temperature.
- The water in the bath tub needs to be set at 120F or less. Run the water over a candy or piece of meat for close to 2 minutes to ensure it is the right temperature.
- Keep electrical appliances away from the bathing area. Stowaway hair dryers and shavers into a lockable cabinet or a high shelf.
- Closely fasten the lid of bath products such as shampoo, to avoid your baby accidentally swallowing their contents. In general, only baby-friendly bath products and toys should be near your baby’s bathing area.
[ Read: Keep Baby Warm At Night ]
As you may realize now, baby safety at home is absolutely vital to avoid accidents and mishaps. While you might not be able to cover all areas of your home, do ensure that you at least try your best for the safety for babies at home.
We hope the information we provided on making home safe for baby will help you make good decisions. Moms, do share your experiences of baby-proofing your home, in the section below!
- 5 Simple Ways To Ensure Toy Safety For Babies
- 4 Effective Tips To Safeguard Your Baby From Passive Smoke
- 11 Effective Tips To Take Care Of Your Baby In Winter
- 5 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Heat Rash In Babies