Is your kid behaving like a snob? Does he pay less attention to what you or others have to say? If you are ready to shrug it off as another whimsical attitude of a modern day child, think again. It could be something more.
There are chances that your young child might be suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. This disorder reflects most prominently when your child becomes an adolescent or is entering his teen years.
You might think that with age, your child will stabilize and become understanding. But if left untreated, it will not only create problems in your child’s life, but also those who are related to him.
What Is Narcissistic Personality Disorder?
The word Narcissist is derived from the name of a Greek man named Narcissus. When this Greek man saw his reflection in water, he fell in love with himself. Thereafter, any personality trait which deals with extreme self-admiration and self-obsession is called as Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder Symptoms In Children:
You might easily dismiss certain behavior expressed by your child, but in reality it could be symptoms of your child becoming a victim of narcissistic personality disorder.
These are some of the typical behavioral symptoms found in children suffering from the aforementioned disorder:
- Extremely self-centered and attention seeking attitude.
- Always considers themselves as superior to others.
- Always brag and boast of their achievements.
- Wants everyone to treat them as special.
- Easily get hurt and become emotional.
- Arrogant in their behavior towards others.
- Can never empathize with feelings and emotions of others.
- Always believe in unrealistic ambitions and are preoccupied by their own fancies and whims.
It is important to understand that although your child may display bold and exaggerated self- confidence, from within they are always mired with low self-esteem and insecurities. Their external appearance is just to cover up their weaknesses.
Causes Of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
Though there are no scientifically proven reasons which can cause this disorder, it is believed to be an ailment caused by any of the following reasons:
- When you bring up your child in a highly pampered environment.
- When you expect high standards from your child without knowing his actual capacity.
- When you neglect your child and never show him or her any love and affection.
- When you abuse your child and inflict trauma on him or her.
Apart from the above mentioned parenting problems, this disorder could also be caused because of biological vulnerabilities. Which is early interactions of a child with his or her caretaker, apart from parents.
[ Read: Anxiety In Children ]
Treatment For Children With Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
There are two suggested ways for narcissistic children treatment, here they are:
There is no medical treatment to cure this personality disorder.
- This condition can be healed by counselling and undertaking therapies from a psychologist.
- Besides, there can be medicines suggested if your child is also suffering from depression or hypertension.
b. Parents’ Role:
Along with the suggested therapies, as a parent, you are equally responsible to help your child recover from this ailment. Following are a few suggestions for you:
1. Teach Them How To Empathize:
If you can teach your children to empathize, a lot can change in their behavior.
Instead of telling them how to understand others’ feelings, show them by your action and behavior that you should always think about others’ feelings and emotions.
[ Read: Personality Disorders In Children ]
2. Make Them Responsible:
Children suffering from this disorder always believe in passing the buck and hardly take any responsibility or blame.
You should teach him how to be accountable if a responsibility is assigned to him.
3. Instill Moral Values:
When your child does something wrong, you should immediately explain that it is wrong behavior. Next time when he repeats this behavior, he will understand that is not correct.
At the same time, it is necessary to appreciate him when he shows good behavior.
[ Read: Behavioural Problems In Children ]
4. Insist Them To Be Realistic:
You can make him understand that he should be practical and pragmatic when it comes to setting goals or standards.
It is imperative that you take him out from his fantasized world and make him aware of the truth.
5. Do Not Over Expect:
The problem at times aggravates when parents also show symptoms of narcissist disorder. It is necessary that you do not over impose your dreams on them.
[ Read: Learning Disabilities In Children ]
You should accept your child just as he is and always allow him to be what he can.
Narcissistic personality disorder is not a disease, but a behavior driven problem. If not stemmed at a nascent stage, it can bring severe complications in future life.
Do you know any other ways to deal children with narcissistic personality disorder? Do share with us.
Refrence : 1 , 2
- 4 Causes And 3 Treatments To Solve Social Anxiety Problems In Children
- Personality Disorders In Children – 6 Causes & 3 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 3 Common Developmental Disorders In Children And Their Remedies
- 10 Useful Tips To Deal With A Highly Emotional Child