Personality disorder is a health condition where children have different and rigid patterns of behavior and thoughts.
As parents, you must be worried about your children and their unexpected and unusual behavior. It is important for you to know more about these personality disorders and also understand that you need to treat your child with lots of care and affection.
Information About Personality Disorders In Children:
There are many researches which show that abuse, genetics and many other factors contribute to personality disorders in children.
Personality disorders in children are situations where children face emotional or mental problems. Children who display such disorders often have different attitude and behavior from others and may be unexpected.
[ Read: How To Deal With Emotional Child ]
Most Common Personality Disorders In Children:
Personality disorders are generally caused due to the environment or the genes. Some personality traits will be passed by someo
- Personality disorders in children are very common.
- These can be quite severe in some children.
- Some children may experience these personality disorders all around the year, while some may face these problems only sometimes in their lives.
The most common types of personality disorders in children are:
- Anxiety disorders
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Separation anxiety
- Mood disorders such as depression
Symptoms Of Personality Disorders In Children:
Here are a few common signs of personality disorders in children:
- Violent or aggressive behavior.
- Lack of interest in any kind of social gathering.
- Prefer to stay alone.
- Very irresponsible.
- Lower academic performance.
- May generally do things that are very risky and are not concerned about their own safety.
[ Read: Aggression In Children ]
Treatment For Personality Disorders In Children:
There are a variety of treatments available for treating various personality disorders in children. The treatment normally depends on the type and its severity of personality disorder in children.
Here are some of the more common ways:
- Often a group work has to be done to treat children with personality disorders. Parents should make sure that all medicines and psychiatric needs are met.
- Medicines can be used for treating these personality disorders in children. Disorders like anxiety, mood swings, depression, and aggression can be treated using the right medicines.
- Some kinds of personality disorders may be severe and the child may need to be hospitalized. This has to be done only if the parents or caregivers are not able to control the child or if the child is hurting himself or herself.
[ Read: How To Build Confidence In Kids ]
Preventing Personality Disorders In Children:
Taking the right steps at the right time can help you prevent personality disorders in children. As a parent, make sure you follow these methods in dealing with your child:
- Use the right approach which is suitable for the child’s age and also useful for the development of the child.
- Try to be active in your child’s daily activities.
- Schedule regular medical checkups for your child.
- Make sure the medicines are always taken on time and as directed by the health expert.
Consequences Of Personality Disorders:
In cases where proper care is not taken, children with personality disorders can face the following situations:
- Undergo excessive stress and are more likely to break down mentally.
- Do not feel like talking to the doctor or
- discussing about their health issues as they do not like to take the responsibility of their reckless behavior.
- May sometimes become overly emotional as well.
- Can hurt themselves and also the person who is taking take of them.
[ Read: Stress In Children ]
Being a parent, you should try to cope up with the doctor and find the most effective ways to keep the child relaxed and learn how to provide complete support.
If you have experienced this situation, do share with our readers how you helped your child during personality disorders.
Refrence : 1 , 2
- 3 Best Ways To Help Children Develop Self Control
- 10 Best Ways To Boost Your Kid’s Confidence
- 5 Best Ways To Discipline Your Child
- 10 Useful Tips To Deal With A Highly Emotional Child