“Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.” – Michael Levine
The moment you are born into this world, you form several relations. Of these relations, the one that probably is long lasting and holds the most importance is the one you share with your parents.
Psychologists refer to this parent-child relation as attachment. It is one of the most heartfelt and sincere relations you build in your life. The profound love and bond between parents and children is built over years. It becomes our very first introduction to intimacy, love, security and even trust.
Once you become a parent, you carry on this relationship with your child too.
Why Is Positive Parent Child Relationship Important?
It is a well-known fact that warm-loving parents create equally warm and loving children. Through this relationship, your children would learn things about life initially.
- Your attachment with your child can be called the predictor of how well you
- It even affects the strength of his future social, physical, mental and emotional health.
- Parent-child relationship serves as a foundation where subsequent social relationships are built.
- This explains the significance of building a healthy relation with your child right from infancy.
It has been found that young people, who grow in and around secure attachment, stand a much better chance of developing happy and content relationships with others in their life.
[ Read: How To Deal With Emotional Child ]
Your child must feel secure with you around. A secured child parent relationship is important because:
- It helps regulate your child’s emotions when under stress and difficult situations.
- It boosts self-esteem and helps him discover his environment with lot more self-belief and confidence.
- Promotes your child’s mental, linguistic and emotional development.
- It helps your child exhibit optimistic and confident social behaviors.
- Helps him understand and build up positive relations in future.
5 Tips To Strengthen Good Parent Child Relationship:
A child who feels insecure due to lack of attachment from parents is at an increasing risk of depression, aggression, and even emotional deregulation. So for that here are our simple tips for you to strengthen the bond between you and your child:
1. Always Express Yourself:
It is very important for you to tell your child how you feel about him.
- Express yourself, say I love you often. Express love day in day out.
- If you disagree on something, sit and discuss what exactly you didn’t like and why.
- When you express yourself, nothing is left unsaid, leaving you both on the same page. This goes a long way in building a strong relationship.
[ Read: Social Anxiety In Children ]
2. Let Your Child Be Inquisitive:
Tell your child what you believe in and explain why.
- Let him ask you questions. Answer all questions with patience.
- Remember, you are building the foundation of your child’s future belief and faith. So always be ready to nurture the queries.
- It will help him form his own opinion and views later.
3. Let Your Child Help:
When you let your child help, you are not only teaching him to be responsible, but also getting closer.
- Ask for his opinion on what to wear while going out and be ready to opt for what they suggest.
- When you take his suggestions seriously, he gets your respect too and feels good.
4. Play With Your Child:
Play time is the best bonding time.
- It is a good way of getting to know each other and brings you closer.
- It can always be a great way of teaching your child about winning and losing.
- Get silly with your child and show them your side that he doesn’t often get to see.
[ Read: Family Activities ]