Pregnancy has always been a game changer! Or rather, body changer. From an obvious increase in the size of your tummy to that radiant look of a soon-to-be-mom, there are many changes occurring within, and you’re probably loving all of it.
On the downside however, you may also be experiencing certain undesirable signs and symptoms including fatigue, nausea, morning sickness and probably even itchiness. In most cases, dealing with itchy skin is quite easy, so relax. Let’s take a closer look and understand more about skin itching during pregnancy.
Is It Normal To Feel Itchy During Pregnancy?
During pregnancy, your body undergoes a lot of changes, and obviously, there are certain highs and lows you may face as a result. You are usually accustomed to your own body, and when it changes so drastically, you may have minor troubles getting accustomed to it.
It is important to visit a practitioner if you find the symptoms getting worse or unbearable, since itching is among the sym
Click here to view an enlarged version of this infographic.
Causes Of Itching During Pregnancy:
Itchiness of the skin, particularly the belly and the breasts are common during pregnancy. This is because of the following causes:
- Both the belly and the breasts undergo a change in size, and the skin stretches rapidly, leaving it deprived of moisture. Making you feel itchy and uncomfortable.
- Many pregnant women may find their palms and soles of the feet getting itchy and red, which may be a side effect of increased estrogen levels in their body.
- If you have already been suffering from a skin condition like eczema, you may also find it getting worse during pregnancy. In such a case, you may need to visit a practitioner.
- Certain allergies may also trigger itchiness during pregnancy, so check if you have been consuming something that you are allergic to.
- A condition known as Pruritic Urticarial Papules And Plaques Of Pregnancy (PUPPP), is observed in a number of women during pregnancy, which may also contribute to itching. However, this condition disappears right after delivery.
Is A Doctor’s Visit Necessary?
It is often difficult to understand the exact cause behind the itchiness of skin during pregnancy, which is why, you may be confused if you need to visit the doctor or not. Check for the presence of signs and symptoms like dark colored urine, irregular bowel movements, fatigue and loss of appetite. If you face any of these symptoms along with itching of skin during pregnancy, it could be a symbol of some underlying health problem that needs medical attention.
How To Tackle Itchy Skin?
If you are experiencing light to moderate itching, you can try using the following remedies.
1. Don’t Scratch:
It only causes more irritation and aggravates the condition. Your nails may spread the infection, so if it itches terribly, use cotton to soothe the area and visit your doctor for a consultation.
2. Apply Vitamin E Oil:
It is a great healing agent and is packed with skin-loving properties. Apply it to the affected areas to reduce dryness and soreness.
3. Use Anti-Itching Lotion:
A good bet like calamine lotion can be applied to the itchy areas for soothing and relief. You can ask your doctor to prescribe one.
4. Give Tlc (Tender Loving Care) To Your Skin:
For itching occurring due to the dryness of skin, consider applying a good moisturizer. Opt for paraben- and preservative-free ones.
5. Wear Loose Clothing:
Purchase comfortable maternity wear that allows you to breathe freely. Avoid staying in hot and sweaty climates for a longer duration.
[ Read: Pregnancy Clothes ]
6. Avoid Perfumed Products:
These have chemicals and may cause skin irritation. In general, it is not advisable to use chemical-based beauty products during pregnancy.
While itchiness is not a potential health hazard, if its bothering you, don’t hesitate to seek the services of a healthcare practitioner and talk out your concerns. Also, if you are suffering with severe itching during pregnancy accompanied by rashes or a skin infection, you may immediately need to visit a dermatologist.
We would like to know your experiences, share them with us.
- 7 Most Common Skin Problems During Pregnancy & Their Remedies
- 3 Types Of Rashes That Occur During Pregnancy – Symptoms & Treatments
- 10 Effective Ways To Reduce Pregnancy Stretch Marks