Congrats on getting to the third trimester – the final phase of your pregnancy journey!
Your body will now find ways to deal with the plethora of changes happening internally. Though you don’t experience any vivid symptoms, you may find it uncomfortable to sleep, especially if you’re a first-time mom.
You may be intrigued to know, that your sleeping position during pregnancy third trimester is actually very crucial; mostly because your tummy is now growing larger to accommodate your growing baby. Below, we’ve decoded the exact positions that could help you sleep comfortably and ensure that your baby is safe too.
Understanding Best Sleeping Positions During Third Trimester:
It is believed that during throughout your pregnancy, sleeping on your left side is probably the best. It allows perfect passage of blood and nutrients to your baby. At the same time, this position also keeps you from feeling all the undesirable symptoms of pregnancy.
- Sleeping on your back tends to c
- While sleeping on your front… well, that’s not exactly going to be possible now, is it!
If you are not comfortable sleeping on your left side, it’s always better to start the habit while you are trying to conceive so as to avoid the uneasiness later.
Common Sleep Disturbances:
Obviously, the most common sleep issue concern during the third trimester is your baby bump, which is probably too big to allow you to sleep comfortably. Plus, just like your early pregnancy days, you will now need to rush to the loo several times, since your growing baby’s putting some pressure on your bladder, decreasing its capacity.
Apart from these issues, other “nightly” niggles may get in the way of a good sleep during third trimester, such as:
- Leg cramps
- Vivid dreams
- Restless leg syndrome
- Movements of your baby
[ Read: Clothes To Wear During Pregnancy ]
Tips To Sleep Well:
While the above-mentioned symptoms are temporary and will nag you only for the last trimester of your pregnancy, you can still tackle most of them by yourself and get a good night’s sleep. Follow these simple tips to avoid sleeping position during pregnancy third trimester.
- Use pillows and cushions to get into a comfortable position during sleep. If possible, invest in a curved pregnancy pillow that is available in leading maternity stores.
- Try sleeping on your left side and wedging pillows between your legs and behind your back for some extra support.
- Slip into loose, comfortable nightwear and avoid tight clothing. Stick to breathable cotton fabrics that get you all comfortable and in the ‘feeling’ of sleep.
- Lying down on the bed may not exactly be comfortable during the third trimester. If you find yourself cozier on a comfy chair or a sofa, go ahead and doze off.
- Consume light food at dinner. Avoid spicy foods since they tend to cause heartburn that usually aggravates during the night.
- Try some light exercise, under the supervision of a trainer of course. This will relax you and give your body a good supply of oxygen, which will help you sleep better.
- About 15 minutes before getting into bed, try and get away from all distractions and allow your mind to relax. Stick to positive thoughts and you’ll find it easier to doze off.
[ Read: Pregnancy Pillow ]
We hope this piece helps you clear all your doubts regarding sleeping positions during third trimester. If not, then it’s best to have a talk with your doctor. Soon, it will be time for you to go to the hospital and to hold a wonderful little baby in your arms.
We wish you a safe delivery and all the best for starting the next phase in life – parenting!
Don’t forget to share your experiences on third trimester sleeping problems with us.
- 3 Important Sleeping Positions During Pregnancy – First Trimester
- 6 Essential Tips To Enhance Sleeping During Pregnancy – Second Trimester
- Pregnancy Pillow – What Is It And What Are Its Benefits?
- What Are The Right Pregnancy Clothes To Wear?
- 5 Simple Tips To Handle Your Sleep Problems During Pregnancy?