Just when you think you have got the hang of motherhood and can relax for a bit, you’ll be hit with a curve ball – Teething!
A teething baby is not a happy camper. You can’t blame the little one either. A tooth erupting from the gum got to hurt! Remind yourself of this when your baby wakes you up for the nth time tonight.
Teething is tough – both for your baby and you. What your family needs is a foolproof plan to deal with it. But should an amber teething necklace be a part of your arsenal?
What Is An Amber Teething Necklace?
Amber teething necklaces are not a new fad. They have been around for centuries. Thousands of mothers around Europe swear by this miraculous natural remedy. But how does it work?
Well, it’s all about the succinic acid.
Succinic acid is known to be a natural pain reliever, an anti-inflammatory agent and a central nervous system calmer. Succinic acid forms an active component in amber. That is what makes these amber teething necklaces so effective. T
[ Read: Baby Teeth Age ]
How To Use Amber Teething Necklace?
The necklace needs to be touching your baby’s skin to work. It should be worn short to prevent your baby from pulling at it. The manufacturers of these necklaces warn against using them while your baby sleeps. But you can still tie it around your baby’s ankle and pull up a sock, to be safe.
Is Amber Teething Necklace Safe?
Now that is a question that can set off a debate! Many mothers dismiss the trend, calling it a ‘hippie fad’. But for a number of mothers, amber teething necklace has proved to be a lifesaver. So, which side is right?
- If you ask your pediatrician, she will flatly tell you that these necklaces do not work. They are nothing but placebo. Most experts warn against using these necklaces.
- When your baby is teething, she’ll put everything in her mouth. Not just that! Little babies like to grab everything. So, chances are high that she will find a way to pull out the necklace and chew on it. The necklace is made of small amber beads. Even if one of these beads comes loose, it can prove to be a choking hazard.
[ Read: Baby Teething Symptoms ]
4 Precautions While Using Amber Teething Necklace For Babies:
If you still want to give these teething necklaces a try, keep a few points in mind.
- Keep an eye on your baby while she is wearing the amber necklace.
- If your baby is going to be unattended, even for a short while, remove the necklace.
- Remove the necklace before putting your baby down for her nap or during the night.
- Don’t encourage your baby to chew on the necklace.
If you are watchful, the succinic acid will do its job without causing any side effects. And you’ll have a happy baby!
Other Uses Of Amber Teething Necklace:
Don’t let the name waylaid you! These necklaces do much more than just ease teething symptoms.
- Helps Treat and Prevent Rashes: Babies and rashes go hand in hand, sadly. Nappy rash or dribble rash – amber teething necklace is known to treat and prevent both of them.
- Relieves Eczema: Eczema is another common baby problem. A number of mothers have used these necklaces to help their babies find relief from eczema.
- Speeds Up Wound Healing: Amber teething necklace is also known to speed up wound healing. It is great news for mothers with accident-prone toddlers.
- Prevents Ear And Throat Infections: Ear and throat infections are no fun, especially for little babies and toddlers. An amber teething necklace is known to prevent these common infections.
If you are still doubtful about using the amber teething necklace, you have company. A number of mothers refuse to take the risk with these necklaces. They prefer using other methods to beat teething symptoms.
[ Read: How To Ease Teething Pain In Babies ]
Other Ways To Beat Teething Blues:
If you have decided not to use an amber teething necklace, you can try these methods to help your baby deal with teething:
1. Use Chewable Toys:
Don’t spend hundreds on teethers. Use any chewable toy. Your baby just needs something to chew on. But make sure the toy isn’t too small to prevent choking.
2. Chill It:
An aching gum is what is keeping your baby awake at night. Try frozen wet washcloths, chilled teething rings (not too hard), chilled spoons and pacifiers.
Make sure your hands are clean before you do this. Massage the spots that seem to be inflamed to provide some temporary relief to your baby.
4. Use Medicine:
Most mothers are wary of using pain relievers for their babies. But if your little one is going through a rough time, you can try some baby Tylenol.
Love them or hate them, but you sure can’t ignore amber teething necklaces! Do they work? For thousands of mothers, the answer is a resounding yes. If you decide to buy a necklace for your baby, make sure you are getting the real thing. Many users have been conned and sold glass beads instead!
When your baby is teething, you’ll be ready to try almost anything to give her relief. Why not give the amber teething necklace a chance?
How are you dealing with teething woes? Have you thought of using amber necklaces for teething? Are you already using it? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.
- When Do Babies Get Their First Teeth – Everything You Need To Know
- 10 Best Teething Toys For Your Baby
- 6 Effective Ways To Treat Sore Gums In Babies
- How To Brush Your Baby’s Teeth?