Worried over seeing red marks due to mosquito bites on your baby? Then read on to understand the need of mosquito repellent and its impact on the gentle skin of your baby.
There are a number of mosquito repellents available in the market today that are specifically designed to be safe for your babies. Now this brings us to the most vital question – “Is mosquito repellent safe for babies?”. The answer to this question is an affirmative; however, you need to look into certain aspects of the mosquito repellent that are discussed below.
How Does A Mosquito Repellent Work?
Mosquito repellents come in the form of creams, sprays, liquid vaporizers etc. These are handy in keeping mosquitoes away for a small amount of time but do not kill mosquitoes. The duration of the time for which the mosquitoes stay away depends on the humidity of the weather and the type of chemicals or constituents used in the repellents.
Factors To Consider While Choosing A Mosquito Repellent For Babies:
Mosquito repellents can be safe for your baby provided you take care of the following points that are mentioned below. Mosquito nets cannot be used everywhere or they are of not much use if you are travelling with your baby.
- Consider mosquito repellent cream for babies that has herbal ingredients and are very gentle on the delicate skin of your baby.
- Doctors recommend that a mosquito repellent should be used on babies who are atleast 6 months old.
- Mosquito repellents that are free of Deet are safer for babies, However, around 10 percent of Deet is still allowed to be used on babies over 2 months of age.
[ Read : Is Deet Safe For Children ]
- Mosquito repellent creams that have natural ingredients like Citronella oil, Eucalyptus oil, Lemon oil etc. in them are the right choice for your baby.
- Do not apply the mosquito repellent creams on the palms of the baby as they tend to put their hands into their mouth.
- Usage of mosquito repellent coils and liquid vaporizers should be restricted as they might cause breathing hazards for the baby. Therefore, the creams and lotions are a safe bet.
- Do not apply mosquito repellent under the clothing. It is safe to be used on the clothing or on the exposed parts of the body.
- Mosquito repellent bands, boots and other items might cause irritation on some parts of the skin if they are used for long duration.
Always consult your doctor before you introduce a new mosquito repellents for babies.
[ Read: How To Treat Mosquito Bites On Babies ]
Recommended Mosquito Repellent Creams For Your Baby:
There are a number of mosquito repellent products that are available. Some of the popular ones are the QuitoMos – Mosquito repellent patches, Jungle Magic – Mosquito Banditz Spidey, Chicco- Anti Mosquito Spray and others.
Some of the popular brands of mosquito repellents that are very safe for your baby are as follows:
Chicco Mosquito repellent gel is a cream with herbal ingredients that are suitable for babies as small as 3 months of age.
Mos Q Shield Mosquitoes & Insects Repellent Cream is also very safe for babies. It has natural ingredients and is available in a non sticky gel based form.
Odomos Mosquito Repellent Cream is also safe to be used on your baby. The ingredients of this cream contain herbal constituents.
[ Read : Allergies In Babies ]
Keep your little one healthy by choosing the right mosquito repellent for babies. Hope this article helped you. Do share your experiences and best practices of keeping mosquitoes away from your baby.
- Is Benadryl Safe For Infants?
- Is It Safe To Use A Sleep Positioner For Babies?
- 8 Effective Natural Remedies To Cure Mosquito Bites In Babies
- 5 Effective Treatments To Cure Bug Bites In Babies