Your baby’s skin is very smooth and gentle and you will definitely want to do everything to keep it healthy and free of blemishes. Well, maintaining a hygienic skin care routine is essential to keep the skin of your baby healthy. So it is also good to know about the various skin conditions that might impact your baby.
One such skin condition that you will have to be careful about is psoriasis. Read on to understand and learn more about the causes and treatment for this skin condition.
What Is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a skin condition that can show up in multiple forms. The skin tends to get inflamed during this skin condition. The two types of psoriasis that are common in babies are Plaque psoriasis and Guttate psoriasis.
It is rare to find babies with psoriasis condition. However, you might observe some similar skin conditions like cradle cap that occurs on the scalp or diaper rash that occurs in the genital area.
[ Read: Scarlet Fever In Infants ]
One of the most common types of psoriasis is the Plaque psoriasis. This can occur in any part of the body. It is mostly spotted in the lower back, knees, scalp and elbows of the baby. If a baby is suffering from psoriasis then one can find inflamed, red and raised lesions that has a covering of a white scale that turns out to be flaky.
If there are some dot like lesions on the limbs and trunks of your baby then it might be a case of Guttate psoriasis. Severe cases of psoriasis can cause the skin to bleed due to cracks. It can be discomforting due to increased itchiness. Psoriasis is not contagious and since it is not a bacterial or a viral infection, it does not even spread on the skin of your baby as well.
[ Read: Roseola In Baby ]
Causes Of Psoriasis In Babies:
The normal process of maturity in skin cells takes place between 28 to 30 days. The skin cells then mature and shed. However, in some cases the skin cells mature every 3 to 4 days that causes these white scaly lesions. Since extra blood is pumped into this area, redness also occurs. Some of the probable causes of psoriasis in baby are as follows:
- In case of a family history of psoriasis, your baby might show up signs of psoriasis as well.
- Certain cases of illness due to tonsillitis or cold can also cause an onset of guttate psoriasis.
- Injuries to the skin due to incessant rubbing or scratching can also cause psoriasis.
- Psoriasis can get worse with stress.
[ Read: Ringworm In Babies ]
Treatment Of Psoriasis In Babies:
Psoriasis can look very similar to Eczema, which is another skin condition. You must visit a doctor to ascertain the exact nature of skin condition your baby has. If he is diagnosed with psoriasis, then the following steps can be taken to treat this skin condition:
- In cases of mild psoriasis a doctor can prescribe topical medication. This is extremely safe and can give your baby some instant relief.
- Add some oil to water and bathe your baby with this water to make things comfortable for your little one.
- In addition, select a good moisturizer for your baby’s skin so that itchiness and flakiness can be reduced.
- Oral medications and antibiotics should be administered in case of severe psoriasis.
Antihistamines might be prescribed to reduce itching.
[ Read: Baby Skin Care ]
Hopefully, this article was helpful in understanding and learning about baby psoriasis. Do share your thoughts and comments below if you have any other information with regards to psoriasis that can prove to be helpful for others.
- 6 Effective Ways To Treat Sore Gums In Babies
- Intussusception In Babies – 4 Causes, 6 Symptoms & 3 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 5 Symptoms & 3 Treatments Of Sinus Infection In Babies
- 10 Effective Home Remedies For Cold And Cough In Babies
- 8 Preventive Measures To Avoid Hay Fever In Babies