Children are prone to viral infections. One such common viral infection that can affect your kid’s skin is warts.
In order to protect your kid, you should know what are warts, its causes, how can it be prevented and its treatment. Let’s help you understand warts.
Click here to view an enlarged version of this infographic
What Are Warts?
Warts are skin infections that occur due to the presence of viruses from the human papillomavirus family.
- They are usually dark or skin colored and can be smooth or rough. They are non-cancerous skin growth.
- Warts are found in the hard and thick areas of the skin and are often confused with corns and calluses.
- These can occur anywhere on the body, but are usually found in moist and warm areas of the body.
- Warts are usually not painful. But when they occur in the areas of the body, such as feet soles, which get pressured, they may cause some pain.
[ Read: Allergies In Children ]
6 Types Of Warts In Children:
Depending upon the site affected, warts are classified into the following:
1. Common Warts: These are found on the back of the fingers and hands. They are dome-shaped and greyish-brown in color.
2. Plantar Warts: These grow on the feet, usually on the soles.
3. Filiform Warts: These warts occur on the face.
4. Flat Warts: These are the smallest of all warts and are found in large numbers – around 20 to 100 at a time. They may be pink, yellow or light brown in color.
5. Palmer Warts: These warts are found on the palms.
6. Genital Warts: These warts are found in the genital area. They are quite uncommon in children since these warts are transmitted sexually.
[ Read: Psoriasis In Children ]
7 Tips To Prevent Warts In Children:
Children with sensitive immune system may get infected soon. If you or any other family member is affected by warts, chances of your child getting affected are high. Children are susceptible to being affected by warts, which is why undertaking preventive measures are an absolute must.
Follow these simple tips to keep your child safe from warts:
1. Encourage your kid to maintain proper personal hygiene.
2. Stop nail biting in your kid.
3. Get your kid to wear flip flops when at a swimming pool or in public showers.
4. If someone in your home suffers from plantar warts, make sure you clean the bathroom floors every time they use.
5. Get your child to wear proper footwear at home.
6. Avoid letting your kid share towels with anyone.
7. Help him build a strong immune system. Give him or her fresh fruits, vegetables, foods that are rich in vitamin C and other immune-strengthening nutrients.
5 Ways On How To Treat Warts On Kids:
Warts do not pose any health complications. They usually disappear on their own without posing any health risks to your child. If it causes pain or spreads, it can be removed.
1. Generally, the type of treatment used to deal with a wart, depends upon its location and type.
2. Some warts can be hard to get rid of. As they might appear thick and hard, and do not allow the medicines to penetrate the inner layer where the virus is present.
3. Sometimes, even despite removal, it may come back.
4. Most medications used to treat warts contain mild acids, which are aimed at melting away the dead skin cells that cover the virus and kill it.
[ Read: Bacterial Infection In Children ]
3 Types Of Treatment Available For Warts:
Below mentioned are some of the treatments for removing warts on children:
In case of warts that tend to persist, cryosurgery may be required.
- This procedure needs the doctor to use a special chemical. This may sometimes contain liquid nitrogen to freeze.
- Cryosurgery may require around three sittings a week with the doctor. It may also take a few months for the virus that causes these warts to be killed completely.
2. Laser Treatment:
Some warts may refuse to go away with other forms of treatment. In such case, laser treatment is usually preferred.
- A tiny laser may be used to zap the warts and kill the viruses that cause its progression.
- Over the time, the warts detaches from the skin as a mass of dead skin cells.
3. Surgical Removal:
In rare cases, the doctor may opt for the surgical removal of warts. This treatment option is the least recommended, as this may leave a scar on the area around these warts.
5 Home Remedies For Warts On Kids:
Here are some home remedies which help to get rid of wart in children:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: Application of apple cider vinegar helps to dissolve the flesh around warts and kill the virus.
2. Banana Mash: Banana mash also works wonderfully as a natural wart remedy. The proteolytic enzyme naturally helps dissolve warts.
3. Basil Paste: Basil paste works as another effective remedy for warts. Its natural antiviral properties decrease the activity of these viruses and speeds up the process of healing of tissues.
4. Honey: It is also known for its antibacterial and antiviral properties. It can help deprive warts of oxygen and kill the virus that causes it.
5. Potato: Rubbing a potato on the warts every few hours is another remedy that has been in use since a long time.
[ Read: Healthy Habits For Kids ]
If you are trying out any of the above treatment option, it is advisable to seek expert medical opinion.
Hope this article helped you understand the warts in children better? If you have any additional information about warts or any remedy that can help to remove warts, do let us know by commenting below.
Reference : 1
- 4 Effective Treatments To Cure Sickle Cell Anemia In Children
- 16 Serious Symptoms Of Scarlet Fever In Children
- Canker Sores In Children – 11 Causes & 7 Remedies You Should Be Aware Of
- Smallpox In Children – 3 Causes, 6 Symptoms & 5 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of