Your world revolves around your little baby – nothing can describe that moment of joy when you saw him walk for the first time, or when he cuddles up in your arms and goes off to sleep. Naturally, you, as a mother, will want to be extremely careful and particular about every aspect of your little one’s life, and just as the diet plays an important role in your kid’s diet, his safety matters.
Your kid has probably started crawling or walking, and now’s the time to reinforce the safety around your house and make it safe for your kid. Here we’ve put down some basics of electrical safety rules for kids regarding switches.
Electrical Safety For Kids At Home:
All kids need to be explained the dangers of electricity, so start with giving your kid a little basic info about what he needs to avoid touching. Apart from that, here are a few tips to ensure electrical safety in the home for kids:
- Make sure all the electrical wires and cords are away from the gas or any other source o
- Avoid having any appliance switched on and then leaving it as it is in the presence of your kid.
- Make sure you unplug the appliance before cleaning it.
- Keep small objects out of reach- kids tend to plug them into sockets.
- Cover open sockets that are within a kid’s reach. Most kids tend to stick fingers into the outlet, which may be risky.
- Remove unused wall outlets.
- Apply tape over unused plug holes or cord holders.
- Store electrical appliances and gadgets out of reach of children.
Electrical Safety In the Garden:
If you have a small outdoor space like a garden or terrace in your home, then you need to make sure it is also safe for your child to live in.
When in the garden, make sure your kid is well protected against any possible source of electrical danger.
Be with your kid at all times, since the garden does have a lot of appliances
Objects like the lawn mower and hedge cutter which can be potentially dangerous for your little one.
[ Read: Road Safety For Kids ]
6 Electrical Safety Tips For Kids:
Apart from these, here are some additional tips to help you make sure your kid is safe in the home, even if you are not in the same room.
- Don’t leave huge appliances like the washing machine, dishwasher and the tumble dryer on while you are not using them. Make it a point to turn off any electrical appliances when not in use.
- Keep all the cords of different appliances out of reach of your kid.
- Avoid keeping electronic items (such as a hair dryer or a mobile phone) plugged in and switched on while you are not in the same room- children tend to put these things in their mouth.
- Socket blanking plugs tend to be effective, but don’t solely rely on them for your child’s safety purposes.
- Avoid keeping drinks from electronic appliances like gaming consoles, computers, TV, stereos and speakers.
- Make sure your kid is dry thoroughly after you have him take a bath, before he starts running around, touching everything in the room!
[ Read: Fire Safety For Kids ]
Teaching Children About Electrical Safety:
One of the best ways to make sure your kid is safe from any electrical dangers is to educate him about it.
Use story books and moral stories to explain your little one about the dangers using electrical appliances could pose, especially if used in the absence of an adult.
If your kid is old enough, you can also start explaining him the right way to use an appliance, such as a mobile charger or another device.
Also, set an example for your kid by following proper electrical safety yourself.
[ Read: Water Safety For Kids ]
We hope this article helped you understand a bit about electrical safety at home for kids, and will make you make decisions for your kid’s health. If you have similar electrical safety tips for kids for our fellow readers, please share them in the section below!
- 10 Essential Home Safety Tips For Your Kids
- Kitchen Safety For Kids – Everything You Need To Know
- 5 Simple & Important Water Safety Rules For Your Kids
- Top 25 Simple Tips To Help Your Children Develop Healthy Habits