A baby is a blessing and a boon, and most consider it as a divine gift. As soon as a newborn enters this world, his or her proud parents want to know everything about their baby – that includes birth defects or medical abnormalities. One such medical condition is the Intestinal Malrotation.
Are you looking to know more about the symptoms and signs of Intestinal malrotation? In this article, we have tried to give you some basic information about this condition.
What Is Intestinal Malrotation?
It is an intestinal disorder. Sometimes there is a blockage in the digestive tract that causes obstruction to the passage of food.
- Malrotation happens if the intestines are twisted due to an abnormal growth in the fetus that can cause the obstruction.
- It usually occurs during birth or the symptoms appear by the time the child reaches the age of a year. 90% of the children get diagnosed by the age of 1 year.
Specific Causes Of Intestinal Malrotation:
Malrotation happens when the po
1. Initially the intestines develop as a single straight tube from the stomach to the rectum and then are the principal source of supplying nutrients to the embryo after it moves into the umbilical cord.
2. By the conclusion of the third trimester the intestines proceed towards the abdomen from the umbilical cord and it is here that if they don’t turn or position themselves properly that malrotation occurs.
[ Read: Kidney Stones In Children ]
Risks Of Intestinal Malrotation In Children:
This condition leads to two serious types of problems.
1. One is known as the Ladd’s bands that are bands of fibrous tissue, which, when formed can cause severe obstruction in the primary part of the small intestine.
2. The other condition is known as Volvulus, where the twists amongst the intestines causes the supply of blood to the intestine to be hampered due to which the tissues may die causing a lot of pain.
Symptoms Of Intestinal Malrotation:
A major symptom that often leads to the diagnosis of intestinal malrotation is vomiting that might contain some green or yellow liquid. This liquid is bile, which aids the digestion of fats in the liver.
Here are several other symptoms:
1. Increased fussiness and profuse crying of the baby due to acute pain and cramping.
2. Irregular bowel movements and the stools are often times irregular, stained with blood or sudden development of diarrhea.
3. The belly of the baby might be swollen and might appear to be very tender to touch.
4. Increased heartbeat with brisk breathing.
5. In general, the baby appears to be very sick, lethargic, inactive and sluggish. Sometimes, babies might develop a fever.
6. Decreased frequency of urination due to loss of excessive fluid.
Another fact that will be helpful to know is that if a baby vomits instantly after he or she is crying due to pain, then that denotes a problem in the small intestine. If there is delayed vomiting then the problem is often times with the large intestine.
[ Read: Tourette Syndrome Symptoms In Kids ]
Diagnosis Of Intestinal Malrotation:
In order to diagnose this medical condition a doctor might recommend an X-ray or a CT scan or ultrasound of the abdominal area.
1. Use of barium as contrast agent is more prevalent through which the doctors can see the scan or the X-ray more vividly.
2. Usually, the liquid barium is infused through a tub that is inserted via the nose of the baby and reaches the stomach.
3. Older children are asked to drink the barium directly. Babies might also receive barium through the rectum by means of a barium enema.
Treatment For Intestinal Malrotation:
Surgery is the major option for treating this condition. The timing of the surgery depends on the seriousness of the condition.
1. Before the intestinal malrotation surgery, the stomach and the intestines are cleaned with the help of a Nasogastric tube that is inserted through the nose to the stomach.
2. Also, sufficient amount of Intravenous fluids is given to the baby to safeguard any signs of dehydration. Any form of infection is kept at bay with the use of antibiotics.
3. This surgery is called the Ladd’s procedure wherein the doctors position the intestine properly and iron out any complications therein.
[ Read: Hepatitis In Children ]
Intestinal Malrotation is a worrying condition, but it can be treated if you are pro-active in diagnosing it. Therefore, in the case of slightest of doubt reach out to your doctor as early detection and diagnosis helps in curing effectively.
We hope you found this article informative. Do post your comments in the section below!
References : 1 , 2 , 3
- 5 Serious Causes Of Gas Pain In Children
- Hirschsprung Disease In Children – Everything You Need To Know
- Dehydration In Children – 9 Causes & 9 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Diarrhea In Children-9 Symptoms & 7 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of