Your pregnancy is a time that you will be undergoing a lot of changes. While many will be related to your mood, there are quite a few that will be directly related to your body too!
Some of these changes may end up making you feel uncomfortable as well. One such change that you may often notice during your pregnancy is a feeling of numbness. This may usually be in your leg, hands or in your stomach. This is perfectly normal. Most women experience similar symptoms during pregnancy. All you have to do is to make sure that you get the right treatment for this feeling and you will be good to go.
What Is Numbness During Pregnancy?
Numbness is the sensation that makes you feel as if you’ve lost feeling in your hands or feet. It could also be a kind of prickly feeling, where you feel there are needles being poked in different parts of your body.
- This usually happens when you have been sitting in one position for a long time.
- Can also happen if you have been putting a lot of pressure
[ Read: Cramps During Pregnancy ]
What Causes Numbness?
Numbness is usually caused due to pressure. However, when you are pregnant, it might happen quite arbitrarily.
- Your body has undergone a lot of swelling in a very short time and this puts pressure on your joints and other body parts.
- This swelling is usually the cause for numbness.
[ Read: Swelling During Pregnancy ]
When Will You Feel Numbness?
Your might experience this mostly at night or right after you have woken up.
Where Will You Experience Pain?
You might experience pain in your:
- The skin of your belly is being stretched and this might make it go numb.
What Should You Do to Cure Numbness In Hands During Pregnancy?
The numbness in hand during pregnancy is because of the pressure being laid on your joints. Sometimes, the pain is caused by carpal tunnel syndrome, which will suddenly develop during your pregnancy.
- You can cure this numbness by wearing a hand or wrist splint at night. This will ensure that your hands and feet stay immobile, so that you don’t end up bending your hand or wrist in a way that would hurt it.
- The hand splint also makes sure that you don’t lie on your arm, cutting off blood supply to this part of your body.
[ Read: Body Changes During Pregnancy ]
What Should You Do to Cure Numbness In Feet During Pregnancy?
If there is some numbness in your legs or feet, here is what you need to be doing:
- Start lying down on your left side.
- As long as you are pregnant, you should avoid lifting weights heavier than 5 or 10 pounds, if you are suffering from numbness.
- When you feel like resting, sit up, don’t lie down. Lying down can increase the chances of you feeling numbness in your legs.
- In case you are exercising during your pregnancy, you should check to see if the exercise is causing the numbness. After your work out, check to see if you feel the numbness. If your legs get numb more often when you are exercising than when you are not, you should stop that particular exercise.
[ Read: Mood Swings During Pregnancy ]
When To Go To The Doctor?
If you are feeling numbness in your legs or hands, you can follow the above methods while trying to treat them. However, there are no ways to treat stomach numbness during pregnancy. There are some creams that can help you with the same. Make sure you get in touch with your doctor before you start applying these creams.
Most of this numbness will pass immediately after you deliver. If your numbness usually stars suddenly, and is severe in nature, you should talk to your healthcare provider, who will be able to provide you with the right medication.
Take care and be safe. Also don’t forget to share your experiences on numbness in early pregnancy with us.
- 25 Effective Tips To Prevent Pains And Cramps During Pregnancy
- Top 10 Useful Tips To Reduce Swelling During Pregnancy
- How to Prevent Leg Cramps During Pregnancy?