Pregnancy is nature’s way of preparing a woman’s body to make become fit for the birth of a new life. It is a wonderful phase when every day you witness new changes in your body.
Along with drastic bodily changes, there will be substantial change in your breasts. These transformations may be in the form of enlarged breasts, more tender and oversensitive breast, darkening of nipples, etc. Apart from all these, many women do complain about leaking from their nipples during pregnancy.
What Is Breast Leakage?
Breast leakage is a common phenomenon that occurs during pregnancy. It can occur from as early as 15th week or as late as end of third trimester. In some cases there is no leaking at all.
- The leaking fluid is called colostrum, which is thick and yellowish in colour.
- In most cases the leakage is in the form of few drops and not as a flow.
- Leakage has no correlation with the amount of breast milk you produce once you start feeding your baby.
So, if your breasts leak d
[ Read: Breast Pain During Pregnancy ]
What Is The Leaking Fluid?
Colostrum is also called as pre-milk and it is considered a precursor to breast milk.
- It contains more proteins as compared to breast milk, but fewer amounts of fats and carbohydrates.
- It also contains antibodies which help protect babies from infections during initial days.
- It is easier to digest and it contains the right amount of nutrients required to nourish a new born infant.
Why Is Leaking Breasts During Pregnancy?
Hormonal changes that take place in your body during pregnancy, is the reason that stimulates leaking of breasts. It is also considered as a sign that your body is preparing for breastfeeding.
[ Read: Sore Breast During Pregnancy ]
How To Prevent Breast Leakage?
There are no concrete ways, which you can utilize to stop the leaking from breasts during pregnancy. It is also not suggested to look for ways to prevent it. At the most, you can think of ways to overcome the embarrassment or uneasiness caused due to it. Here are a few from our end:
- Wear loose clothes so that it does not stick to your body.
- If possible always wear a nursing pad in your bra which can absorb the liquid and does not show up on your clothes.
- If you are wearing nursing pads, make sure you change it frequently to avoid the stale smell of colostrum and the wet feeling.
- It is advised to wear nursing pads at night also, so prefer to wear cotton and light maternity bras which can make you feel comfortable
Also under certain circumstances when your breasts are stimulated or during sex you might witness heavy flow, so be prepared for it!
[ Read: Breast Changes During Pregnancy ]
Word Of Caution:
Even though we discussed that it is normal if there is leakage from the breast, you should be conscious enough to check if the liquid discharge is not having any traces of blood. In such cases it is required to consult your doctor. Although this is also not a worrisome state and it clears up after delivery.
Moreover, if the blood discharge fails to subside on its own in few months then the doctor should initiate some tests to find its cause. Reasons for such instances can be nothing more than any infection or any benign growth (apart from cancer).
We hope that after reading this you will not worry when you face the situation of breast leaking in pregnancy. Just keep on enjoying your pregnancy period.
Don’t forget to tell us how you dealt with this leaking breasts during pregnancy.
- How To Reduce Breast Pain During Pregnancy?
- 4 Simple Helpful Tips To Tackle Sore & Tender Breasts During Pregnancy
- 6 Common Breast Changes That Occur During Pregnancy