Beauty has transformed into multi-million dollar industry in recent times. It keeps on showering new advancement and innovations, just like medicine and technology.
With nail extensions, you can now experience the joy of ‘growing’ aesthetically appealing nails within a few minutes. But would you get it at the cost of your baby’s health?
Acrylic Nails During Pregnancy:
Acrylic nails, also known as fake nails, are simply a mixture of liquid and powder that are applied to the natural nail. What’s more, acrylic nails are extremely simple and easy to use. Even if you do manage to break them, you can always get them fixed yourself with a little effort.
But are acrylic nails safe during pregnancy? Let’s find out.
A Word Of Caution:
While there are no harmful side effects as such when it comes to using acrylic nail paints or nail compounds during pregnancy, there are certain precautionary measures you may want to take. Since everything that you do during pregnancy is bound
- Select a well-reputed salon, preferably one that you have used before.
- Make sure you are in a well-ventilated room while you are getting your nails done.
- Avoid breathing in any fumes that may arise during the application of the nail compounds, as they can be harmful to your baby.
- It is advisable to get yourself checked for any allergies to the compounds being used in the acrylic nail procedure. This may help rule out the risk of any allergies whatsoever.
- Check if the salon offers an alternative ingredient known as ethyl-methacrylate (EMA) which is much safer.
- You can also limit your risk of potential side effects by avoiding going for the acrylic nail procedure in the first trimester of pregnancy.
[ Read: Manicure During Pregnancy ]
Tips For Nail Care During Pregnancy:
If you are getting acrylic nails during pregnancy, there are a tips you can implement to minimize the risk of any side effects, if at all.
- Keep in mind that during your pregnancy, you may be even more sensitive to the compounds used during the procedure, even if you may have worn them before.
- This is because your pregnancy makes you more vulnerable and renders your immune system weaker than before.
- Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after getting the procedure done. Also avoid inhaling the fumes as they may make you feel nauseous and sick.
- Keep your nails clean. You are more prone to a bacterial or fungal infection of the area now during your pregnancy.
- Pay similar attention during removal of acrylic nails, and avoid getting the procedure done repeatedly during your pregnancy.
[ Read: Beauty Tips During Pregnancy ]
Complications of Acrylic Nail Usage During Pregnancy:
While there is no evidence to confirm the fact that acrylic nails may cause harm during pregnancy, there are certain speculations that are yet to be confirmed by experts.
- Exposure to work environments where the concentration of acetone is higher is thought to be linked to an increased risk of miscarriage.
- Frequent exposure to the solvents used during the acrylic nail procedure is also thought to affect the developing fetus and cause an increased risk of developmental delays and learning disabilities.
- Also, since the nails are not attached naturally, they tend to increase the risk of bacterial and fungal infections.
The verdict is, even though acrylic nails pose no direct threat to you or your baby during pregnancy, it is a good idea to avoid them when you are carrying. You may not want to put your baby’s health at risk just to adore your long nails now, would you?
We hope this article helped you make the right decision regarding getting acrylic nails during pregnancy. Do let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
- 11 Precautions To Take Care While Doing A Manicure During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Color Your Hair During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Rebond Your Hair During Pregnancy?