Getting ill while pregnant can pose many hassles. Not only it will be especially tiring, but it can also have hidden side effects for your unborn child.
What may be a routine dose of antibiotics for an infection during ordinary circumstances will become highly complicated if you do the same while carrying.
Are Antibiotics During Pregnancy Safe?
Antibiotics are medications that fight bacterial infections. Generally prescribed by the doctor after he inspects your health condition and deems they are needed.
There are many different types of antibiotics; some of them target a particular bacterium, while others are effective against a wide range of infection-causing agents. But is their use during pregnancy safe? Let’s find out.
[ Read: Iron Tablets During Pregnancy ]
Are Antibiotics Safe During Pregnancy:
Pregnancy is a delicate stage of life for both the mother and her developing baby. Anything that the mom-to-be consumes, be it food or medication, may have an effect on
In general, most antibiotics are not prescribed during pregnancy. As they pose potential risk when to an expectant mother’s health. Below are the risks:
- Gray baby syndrome, characterized by ashen gray body color of the fetus, cardiovascular collapse, vomiting, low blood pressure, etc.
- Anaemia in you and your fetus, by disrupting the formation of red blood cells.
- Deafness, a possible complication associated with the use of antibiotics during pregnancy.
- The use of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole and sulfasalizine is thought to cause jaundice and brain damage in your newborn.
- Tetracycline, commonly prescribed to treat pneumonia and other respiratory tract infections, is believed to increase the risk of impaired bone development in the fetus.
- Trimethoprim, an ingredient found in drugs used to treat urinary tract infections, is also to be avoided during pregnancy as it is thought to pose a risk of neural tube defects in your developing baby.
[ Read: Calcium Tablets During Pregnancy ]
List Of Antibiotics Used In Pregnancy:
While a lot of antibiotics do have health risks associated with their use, there are certain antibiotics that are safe during pregnancy and which can be used while you are carrying without any side effects. Make sure you seek medical advice before using any of these.
- Bactrim : It is usually prescribed for urinary tract infections and respiratory infections. It should not be used during the last trimester of pregnancy and during nursing.
- Clindamycin : It is prescribed for pelvic infections and postpartum uterine infections. It doesn’t cause any side effects or complications.
- Cephalosporins : This one is safe for use during pregnancy.
- Erythromycin : It is one of the most common antibiotics and is also safe for use during pregnancy. It is believed that it doesn’t cross the placental barrier and therefore causes no harm whatsoever to the baby.
List Of Antibiotics To Avoid During Pregnancy:
A big no-no at all times and especially during pregnancy is, not to use OTC antibiotics on your own (i.e., without doctor’s approval). Here is a list of antibiotic medications that you should avoid using during your pregnancy.
- Streptomycin : An antibiotic used against tuberculosis, should not be used during pregnancy as it is thought to have adverse effects on the fetus.
- Metronidazole : It is used to treat trichomonas vaginalis infections. Should not be used during pregnancy, especially during the first trimester.
- Floroquinolones : Must be avoided during pregnancy and breastfeeding. They are thought to have negative impacts on the development of cartilage and joint development in the fetus.
- Tetracylines : To be avoided at ALL costs. They are known to cross the placenta and cause discoloration of teeth, liver damage and serious birth abnormalities.
[ Read: Drugs Used In Pregnancy ]
Medical experts claim that the harmful effects of the use of antibiotics in pregnancy outweigh its benefits, and therefore, they must be avoided. It is always recommended to seek medical advice before using drugs during pregnancy.
We hope this article helped you get an idea about why you should avoid using antibiotics during pregnancy. Your doctor will prescribe you the right and safe one, should you ever need them.
Do share your thoughts with us on the same:
References : 1 , 3 , 4 , 5
- Is It Safe To Use Homeopathic Medicines During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take Allergy Medications During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Steroids During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Antacid During Pregnancy?