The importance of personal hygiene cannot be stressed upon enough. After all, no one likes to be near a smelly person! But why is proper hygiene so important during pregnancy?
Personal cleanliness and hygiene is a practice you should follow at any time, especially during pregnancy. Any infection you might catch during your pregnancy may directly affect your baby in the womb. Also, in order to improve your condition, you may need to take certain medication that may not be suitable during pregnancy.
Hygiene During Pregnancy – Why Is It Important?
As an expectant mother you need to be careful about every aspect of your life, including your food, lifestyle and sleep.
Improper hygiene may put your baby at an increased risk of developing infections. Right now, your developing baby is more vulnerable and weak. In certain severe cases, it may also result in severe health problems in the baby. Chronic exposure to toxins and other harmful agents during pregnancy could also lead t
Tips On How To Follow Hygiene During Pregnancy:
Here we’ve listed down some important aspects of pregnancy hygiene that you must focus on.
1. Skin And Hair Care:
Your skin tends to be more active during the pregnancy period. In addition, the overactive oil glands tend to make your hair oilier. Here’s what you can do about your skin and hair during your pregnancy:
- Avoid soaking in a bathtub. Instead, use a bucket and a mug or use a shower during your pregnancy period.
- Use natural bath products such as soaps and shampoos as far as possible.
- Shampoo your hair regularly.
[ Read: Skin Care During Pregnancy ]
2. Tooth Care:
Believe it or not, but tooth care too forms an important part of your hygiene during pregnancy. In fact, during pregnancy you need to give more attention to your tooth care.
- Make sure you brush your teeth twice a day.
- Floss every couple of days to prevent buildup of plaque. This will also help to remove food stuck between the teeth which may cause cavities.
- Massage your gums with an anti-inflammatory agent (after the consultation of your doctor) if you suffer from swelling and sensitivity of the gums. This is commonly noted due to increased estrogen levels during pregnancy.
[ Read: Remedies For Bleeding Gums During Pregnancy ]
Before you get out for some maternity shopping, here are a few tips you may want to take note of:
- Always wear cotton undergarments that fit you snugly and change them once you get back home.
- Avoid staying in sweaty clothes for long.
- Choose fabrics that are easy to wear, soft and comfortable throughout your pregnancy period.
- Avoid wearing clothes that are too tight, especially your underclothes.
- Choose a well-fitting maternity bra with pads to absorb any possible colostrum leakage from the nipples.
- Wash all your clothes properly with quality antibacterial detergent or soap.
[ Read: How To Dress During Pregnancy ]
4. Personal Hygiene:
Personal hygiene is undoubtedly the most important factor you must pay attention to during your pregnancy:
- Make sure you clean yourself well after visiting the washroom.
- Have a bath every day without fail.
- Wash your hands every time you get back home, especially before you have your meals.
- Carry a sanitizer with you if you’re at work or eating out.
- Keep the pubic area clean and hair-free to prevent any genital infections that may also harm your baby.
- Use plain and unperfumed soaps to clean your private parts – this helps maintain the pH levels.
We hope you found this article valuable and hope it gave you some good idea about how you could maintain proper hygiene in pregnancy. Got any views to share? Let us know in the comments box below.
- 7 Wonderful Ways To Pamper Yourself During Pregnancy
- 10 Simple Ways To Keep Yourself Happy During Pregnancy
- Top 25 Beautiful Quotes About Pregnancy