Are you a foodie who loves to indulge in street food? Are you dreading that your pregnancy may be quite a test of self-control for you? You know that your diet multiplies in its importance if you are expecting your baby. It is so because not only your health, but also your baby’s growth and development are at stake. You cannot afford to be lax about your intake even for a single day during your pregnancy. A petty indulgence of your taste buds may prove disastrous for your growing baby.
Are you aware that even if you are maintaining a healthy and hygienic diet, the danger of food poisoning may still be lurking in your kitchen? Read on to know more about food poisoning. Learn about its symptoms and tips to avert it, especially during your pregnancy.
Pregnant women are prone to suffer from listeriosis, a type of food poisoning. Here is some more information about food poisoning and pregnancy that may be helpful.
Listeriosis is a bacterial infection spread by Li
Symptoms Of Listeriosis:
Here is a list of common symptoms of food poisoning while pregnant:
- Stiff neck
- Loss of balance
[ Read: Listeriosis During Pregnancy ]
Treatment For Listeriosis:
Treatment of a serious infection like listeriosis demands a doctor’s advice. Self-medication is a strict no-no for pregnant women. Here are a few important points to keep in mind if you suffer from a gastronomical infection like food poisoning in pregnancy:
- Strictly follow the prescription that your doctor provides and do not consume OTC drugs.
- Your doctor may prescribe some antibiotics for you keeping your pregnancy in mind. Remember to adhere to your doctor’s advice regarding the dosage. Refrain from discontinuing the medicine midway if you see any improvement as the infection may resurface later.
Measures To Avoid Food Poisoning During Pregnancy:
Ensuring healthy diet and great hygiene go a long way in ensuring a safe pregnancy. If you are pregnant, here are a few points to ponder:
1. Reheat meats until hot before consuming, especially if you are eating hot dogs and deli meats.
2. Make sure pasteurized milk is the ingredient of the cheese you are about to consume.
3. Avoid eating refrigerated food. However, you can safely consume canned food that is refrigerated.
[ Read: Deli Meats During Pregnancy ]
4. You can enjoy canned and refrigerated fish like salmon, trout, cod, tuna, mackerel and whitefish. It is even better if you freshly prepare seafood and eat it.
5. Do not drink raw milk or consume dairy products made from it.
6. Avoid refrigerated salads.
7. Stay away from junk foods such as burgers, fries and oily foods prepared on the roadside. During cravings, prepare special dishes at home and indulge yourself.
8. Ensure that you carry a hand sanitizer at all times when you step out.
9. Stay away from cat litter and garden areas infested with pests and parasites until delivery.
10. Wash your hands properly before and after meals.
11. Maintain a clean kitchen.
12. Avoid consuming leftovers during pregnancy.
13. Check food labels before purchasing any eatables.
[ Read: Eating Fast Food During Pregnancy ]
Remember a few hygienic habits and lifestyle changes can help you prevent many infections and illnesses during your pregnancy. Talk to your doctor to learn more about the threat of food poisoning. She can share some simple tips on how you can prevent it and safeguard your baby from its adverse effects.
If you have suffered from a bout of food poisoning during pregnancy, please share your experience and advice here.
- Is It Safe To Drink Soy Milk During Pregnancy?
- 6 Harmful Effects Of Eating Junk Food During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Spicy Food During Pregnancy?
Is It Safe To Have Artificial Sweeteners During Pregnancy?